Which Shark, which router?

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GrandpaB

Which Shark, which router?

Post by GrandpaB »

Good afternoon,

I'm fishing for a shark. I started believing that the Shark could do the job I was interested in. Its small envelope was all I needed, and a Rockler demo was able to cut out a 1.5" thick part. However, closer examination reveled that the wood was not pine as I had requested, but a softer wood, probably basswood. A second demo with yellow pine was a different story. The part was cut out, but the Bosch Palm router seriously loaded down. The project is for a nonprofit, Toys for God's Kids, and the wood is donated scrap.

To get a more powerful router I must go to the Shark HD, and find the extra bucks to move from the Shark at the bottom of the line to the one at the top. So my questions are:

1.) Is there a way change the tool path feed rate so that the Bosch router does not choke? The demo was set up to take 18 passes to cut the 1.5" depth.

2.) If I must move up to the HD is there a router you would recommend as far as power, reliability and life are concerned?

3.) Does anyone know where we can get a supply of donated basswood or other soft wood?

Based on my initial assumption about the Shark I was awarded a grant to cover the cost of that system. I'm looking for a way to proceed with one of the Shark systems will do the job, but at as low a cost as possible.

TDA

Re: Which Shark, which router?

Post by TDA »

I can't address the other questions but I can give you an idea on the first. You can lower the stress on the router by a number of ways.

A. Take a smaller pass depth. Basically cutting it in more passes. This will increase your cutting time.

B. Lower your chip load. Basically this means higher RPM or lower feedrate. This too can increase your cutting time.

C. Change tooling. Flute geometry can change a lot of the loads on a tool and router. e.i. going from a 2 flute cutter to a 3 flute cutter will change the chip load thus lowering the stress without changing the feed or RPM.

One last thing. While basswood is soft it is not always softer then pine. Bass wood is about a 410 on the janka scale. Pine has a pretty big range. 300-400 (E/W white, sugar) 500-600 (jack, pitch, red) 700-800 (pond, monterey) or even up to 1260 in caribbean. My only point is that you might want to make sure of your source type for comparison.
John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

GrandpaB

Post by GrandpaB »

John,

Thanks on the education. I never heard of the janka scale or chip load; I'm busy googling!

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Thanks guys for your answers and insights. My thinking is the Colt is a trimmer and I would think a full scale router would not put as much stress on the equipment and you would get a better cut.

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Don't under estimate the power of the colt side! I've always been amazed at what it can do. Its handy to have some experience with hand routing first so you understand what it can do and how deep a cut you can make in one pass. I see people all the time pushing a router too hard and wondering why they get bad results. Its like having the blade out too far on a hand plane then after you stuff up a job complaing that you need a bigger plane for the job.
Size doesn't matter so much. Its how you use it. :?
“It’s not that I’m so smart,
it’s just that I stay with problems longer.“
Albert Einstein

Bob

Post by Bob »

GrandpaB wrote:Good afternoon,

I'm fishing for a shark. I started believing that the Shark could do the job I was interested in. Its small envelope was all I needed, and a Rockler demo was able to cut out a 1.5" thick part. However, closer examination reveled that the wood was not pine as I had requested, but a softer wood, probably basswood. A second demo with yellow pine was a different story. The part was cut out, but the Bosch Palm router seriously loaded down. The project is for a nonprofit, Toys for God's Kids, and the wood is donated scrap.

To get a more powerful router I must go to the Shark HD, and find the extra bucks to move from the Shark at the bottom of the line to the one at the top. So my questions are:

1.) Is there a way change the tool path feed rate so that the Bosch router does not choke? The demo was set up to take 18 passes to cut the 1.5" depth.

2.) If I must move up to the HD is there a router you would recommend as far as power, reliability and life are concerned?

3.) Does anyone know where we can get a supply of donated basswood or other soft wood?

Based on my initial assumption about the Shark I was awarded a grant to cover the cost of that system. I'm looking for a way to proceed with one of the Shark systems will do the job, but at as low a cost as possible.
Grandpa B,
After looking at your examples of the toys you build, I had to try it. These were cut on the smallest Shark using the colt router.
Car
Car
I used light passes, .25 end mill, feed just fast enough to cut without burning or vibration. 1.5 inch thick pine, .75" thick oak wheels. In answer to your question...Yes, it can be done with the basic Shark and Colt router.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

GrandpaB

Post by GrandpaB »

Bob,

Thanks for your reply; I'm sorry that I haven't replied sooner, I've been frying other fish ;). Your car looks great; you're hired!

Now, can you tell me how you find the sweet spot for routing? I'm going to buy a Shark. You have found a way to navigate the multi-dimensional space of feed, speed, tool, type of wood, depth of pass, milling time, tool life and others I don't yet know to create a great looking car. As a novice I was hoping you might share your knowledge on how effectively use the Shark. I am seriously considering getting the HD Shark and using a higher power router with constant speed control. I expect that we'll be putting a lot of hours on our CNC system.