THE NEW MAKO IS HERE!!!

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

norseman

Re: THE NEW MAKO IS HERE!!!

Post by norseman »

We got the price down! the MAKO is now under $4k WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES AND THE ROUTER!!!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31786

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Now if only the price was only $1999... ;)

It does looks like the Mako is twice the CNC my Shark Pro is though. Hope they sell well for NextWaveAutomation. My Dean is spending $25k on a single 3D printer for my college. Wish he'd buy five or six of the Mako instead, and that NWA would make a 3D printer option available for them.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The 2.0 controller is available for the Mako only at this point but we will look to having update for previous customers after the run is out.
The hardware controller is generally the same but there is more power available to the motors.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

In this YouTube Video Tim Owen is seen demonstrating the Shark with the new gantry but in the traditional colors. I wonder if the "limited" is just the color and pricing and the rest is just marketing talk? The HD is just a year old so perhaps there are some improvements - we'll have to wait and see.

With the 4th axis and other add-ons introduced this year I really wonder how much more (if anything) NWA has done to improve the HD model. He certainly doesn't mention it in the video! You'd think if it was as substantial as listed in the "limited" specs that he would of.
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The video in question was at the IWF in Aug 2012. At that time I was showing the next version of the HD and that was a prototype. The Mako package didn’t exist at that time of the taping so we didn’t go into everything since we were defining things and didn’t want to tell our competitors exactly what we were doing several months before release. The color change was for serval reasons but the big reason is because several of the updates to this unit are not visible from a picture.

Now what new with this unit? Besides the Mako package had a touch plate, vac dust boot and a router. The Mako has some nice visual aspects of the nice swept gantry design and the reversed color theme. But the under the hood changes are. There are new bearings that are adjustable for more clamping pressure on the guide bars. This also has an additional bearing at the base of the machine for more stability at higher speeds than you can with any other machine. We added aluminum up both sides of the gantry instead of just the one side on the current HD. There is more power being applied to the motors from the updated controller and we have a new 2.0 software controller.

bgrooms

Post by bgrooms »

I'm looking to buy a Shark late this year (December). I have a couple of questions.

1. The MAKO looks like it has some good upgrades and the price is right. How long will the price stay there and how long will the MAKO be available.
2. The limited run has me a little worried. If I purchased would it put me in a spot in case parts were needed later or something or do you think they'll continue with this model?

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The Mako package is temporary the color will revert back to black and there might be a price increase. However the parts and design will remain in stock.

As far as the 3d printer attachment goes we do have an attachment in development.
We are working with a 3d company and they are intergrating it into our software and on our machine.
there is not release date on this yet.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Tim Owens wrote:The Mako package is temporary the color will revert back to black and there might be a price increase. However the parts and design will remain in stock.

As far as the 3d printer attachment goes we do have an attachment in development.
We are working with a 3d company and they are intergrating it into our software and on our machine.
there is not release date on this yet.
Your the man Tim! Looking forward to that!

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

mike 64

Post by mike 64 »

I got my mako comeing.4 week is a long time to wate.has any one got theres yet.let me know how you like it

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

If you just ordered then you are a min of 2 weeks from getting it (back orders).
They might have put 4 weeks out on your order (I assume auto generated) to cover the bases because of the approaching holidays.