recessed drawer pull

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
JuniorBirdMan

recessed drawer pull

Post by JuniorBirdMan »

I wanted to use some 3.25 inch wooden recessed drawer pulls sold by Rockler for a project. Trying to make a template for handheld routing proved to be difficult and innacurate at best. The "lip" on these pulls is only 1/16 inch, so there isn't much room for error. VCarve Pro turned out to be the ultimate, repeatable answer. The pulls fit like a glove.
Attachments
recessed drawer pull.crv
(680 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
recessed drawer pull.JPG
recessed drawer pull.tap
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

4DThinker

Re: recessed drawer pull

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks for your post and the files, JBM. Pockets for hardware that normally require a router and template/jig or a Forstner bit and chisel are a great application for the Sharks. In my shop we have Forstner bits from 1/4" to 2.25", but only in 1/8" steps. Yes, you can buy metric versions for most european hardware, but in a few minutes you can draw the exact circle or slot needed and be cutting it perfectly and exactly where and as deep as it needs to be.

4D

JuniorBirdMan

Post by JuniorBirdMan »

Thanks for the suggestion about the Forstner bits. Having only had a Shark for a few weeks, I'm just beginning to learn all that it can do.

dstranz

Post by dstranz »

JuniorBirdMan wrote:Thanks for the suggestion about the Forstner bits. Having only had a Shark for a few weeks, I'm just beginning to learn all that it can do.
Just to be clear, he isn't suggesting that you use Forstner bits in the Shark! Just the opposite - that the Shark can be programmed to cut exactly the size hole you need when you don't have a Forstner bit of the right size to use in your drill press.

JuniorBirdMan

Post by JuniorBirdMan »

Dang! All the money I wasted having 30+ forstner bits ground to fit a router collet!

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

LOL!. Don't worry, Junior. They will still work in a drill press. ;)

JuniorBirdMan

Post by JuniorBirdMan »

4DThinker wrote:LOL!. Don't worry, Junior. They will still work in a drill press. ;)
It's a good thing because the router sounded like it didn't particularly enjoy that 3.5 inch forstner bit anyway, not to mention all the smoke and fire. :lol: