Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
Bob

Re: Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Post by Bob »

Keith,
I'm interested!
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Keith,

I'm interested in the files also.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Ok Bob. Give me a little time to try them all out, or your welcome to try yourself. What I did was, take the cover off, scan them to my computer, then import the scan into v carve pro. Then created vectors over the various areas to be carved. The idea was to get all the vectors in their realitive location so everything will fit once carved. I made the covers a little large since the idiots that started remodeling my house before I moved in, cut the opening for the switches and plugs at random sizes. Easy enough to fix, if I wanted another project, but easier to use over sized covers. Anyway, I've done the alignment process for the files, but possibly could use some fine tuning. I'll get off my iPad, go to my computer and upload the files.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Some of the switch plates were different sizes, so I just made them all 5 inches tall. The widths vary depending what type switch it is. Also, the original files on this site used 1/8 inch ball nose bits for pocketing, which makes the file about one and a half hours to carve. I converted the pocket to 1/4 inch straight bit, and cut the carve time down to about 10 minutes. To square up the smaller switch opening, I used a .0625 bit to square up the inside corners. All are easily changeable if you want a different size.
Attachments
Combo switch plate and plugs.crv
(485 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Double switch plate.crv
(600.5 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
Switchplate Large rocker.crv
(206 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Last edited by Keith Hodges on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Last three.
Attachments
Single Plug plate.crv
(308 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Single switch plate.crv
(205.5 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Triple Switch Plate.crv
(699 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you Keith,
I have to get to work on these.
This will be a great job for next winter. Right now I'm hearing the fish calling.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

Keith, thanks for sharing these files, look forward to trying them out. Think it might be interesting to try and add some small 3D files to some of the covers- might have to increase the depth of the cover but these should be a great start! Thanks again.

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

Thinking of something like this for a switch plate in our cabin.

singleswitchplatefront.jpg

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Dave, that's exactly what I was thinking. Easily done just by flipping. I'm going to add a couple labels to my bathroom plates. With two sets of lights, ceiling, and vanity, nobody takes the time to see what the third switch is for. (Exhaust fan). The others I was thinking would be dependent on personal choice, so a complete line of questioning would be in order. :D

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

I did the "front" of the plate using a new layer and should be reasonably easy to flip the plate and use the drilled holes to line up to to other side. Hope to try one of these later in the week. I made the material 3/8" to give myself a bit more carving room as well, don't think they will look too thick if the edge is eased. Thanks for putting up the files and to all who have participated in this thread to keep it going.