Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
Consultingwoodworker

Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Woodworker's Journal just released this page with downloads and video on making an outlet cover using the CNC Shark. I created the design and files and WWJ did the end result!

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/resou ... index.html

Ralph

mmatarella

Re: Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Post by mmatarella »

Need a light switch plate to match! :-)

creek

Post by creek »

Do you a double, triple and quad switch plate templates?
thanks
creek

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

For these to fit on the outlet correctly you will need to modify the design in VCP or Aspire slightly.
Remove the rest of the raised material on the back side that is around the screw hole so that the entire back side is pocketed away and all on the same plane.
Then take a small strip of plastic laminate 3/8" wide x 2 5/8" long and crazy glue the tar out of it and attach it to the back side across the grain, hole, etc.
After the glue has set up overnight, from the front side bore a hole through the original screw hole with a sharp tapered countersink bit so the finished oval head screw will seat properly.
When installing, snug the screw in the outlet screw hole, "Do not over tighten". Snug is tight enough.
Attachments
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01278.JPG

gordread

Post by gordread »

Why remove the wood around the screw hole just to replace it with plastic? (not criticizing, I don't understand).

Thanks, Gordon.

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

The wood around the screw hole is 1/4" thick and causes the plate to be 1/8" away from the wall when mounted.
The laminate is less than 1/16" thick. The wood material is 1/16" thick here. The difference between the 2 is a bit more than the 1/8" you need to
have the plate contact the wall for an appropriate appearance.

Machine one the original way the plate was posted and put it on an outlet and you will see what I mean.
I have the correct toolpaths and will post them later 2day when I have time.
I will also post a switch plate cover.

Hope this helps.
Wayne @ Wayne's Woodworks
Last edited by wwoodworks on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Here are the photos of the toggle switch cover I promised.
The toolpaths r on a second post to follow.
The laminate is glued on the back to gain enough strength to snug up the mounting screws.
The wood left in the cover where the screws go thru is only 1/16th inch
so unless this area is strengthened, the wood will break prom the pressure of the mounting screw head.
Aluminum .03 would work as well.
Attachments
DSC01304.JPG
DSC01305.JPG

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Attached r the tool paths for the revised outlet cover and the toggle switch cover.
I used Roo glue (polyvinyl acetate) to attach the laminate strips to the back side.
I used workpieces 6"w x 7"h x 1/4" thick so I had plenty of room for the clamps to hold it securely to the shark bed.
Also used a 1/4" mdf spoiler board. End mill is 1/8". The tool paths are set up for tabs so
the workpiece doesn't flop around when the profile toolpath is run. Let the glue dry overnight
and then from the face of the plate use a countersink bit to cut a tapered hole at the face so the oval head screw will seat properly.
Put a small block of wood under the plate when u bore the hole so the material is supported.
Attachments
Outlet Cover_Jan_2015TP.crv3d
(245 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
Outlet Cover_4TP.tap
(41.46 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Toggle Cover 4 TP.tap
(42.54 KiB) Downloaded 765 times

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Not trying to critize, all the info about support is good. When I recently made a combo, plug/switch cover, I simply reduced the height of the wood where the screws are by half. Originally they were 1/4 inch like the surrounding border. I cut them to 1/8, and the plates fit perfectly. Granted, the switch cover is thin there, but once fastened in place, I don't think they'll be subject to any damage, unless someone hits the switch while turning it on or off. BTW, I made files for all the different covers in my house if anyone is interested. Single switch, double switch, triple switch, plug/switch combo, switch with large toggle switch opening. Cut my first one yesterday, fits fine. Gonna test the rest before cutting in nice wood. Gonna label a few for identifing bathroom exhaust, etc., on the reverse side.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.