Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
Keith Hodges

Re: Custom CNC Outlet Covers!

Post by Keith Hodges »

Dave. You just gave me an idea. Making a little thicker. Don't know who installed the switch boxes in my house other than some illegal transients not familiar with American building codes. But some are sticking out from the surrounding drywall as much as 1/8 inch in some locations, as well as not being perfectly square. This leaves the switch plates with a gap around the edges. Been putting off adding another project to my list of honeydo's, so that may just be the answer. This is a custom addition to my house, so who's to say their too thick?
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Updated file. The large rocker switch file has been replaced. The switch cover was large enough, but the opening for the switch was too small. Should be OK. I'm cutting these out as I have time, but haven't done all of them so far. So, if your getting ready to use these files, be sure to verify the size of the opening before wasting wood. I'll get them all tested within the next day or so, just to make sure their all right. Sorry for the wrong info on the first file. Keith
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

gordread

Post by gordread »

Hey Keith, sounds like you put in some good work on the plate covers. If you don't mind posting them, I'm certain that a lot of people would use them. ;)

Gordon

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Gordon, there posted on page two of this post. Two sets of three files. Enjoy.

gordread

Post by gordread »

Oh, dear. I'm blind. I didn't see that the thread had gone to multiple pages. /sigh

Thanks Keith.

Gordon

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

It's been awhile, but I finally got around to actually carving all the switch plates that I posted files for. All came out nice and have replaced all 20 in my house. The only one I haven't done yet is the single plug file, but see no problem with it. I found some heavily figured Cherry and happy with the results.

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

Thank you Keith for the files. Been wanting to do some of these since I first saw the cnc router... I live in a log house and the wood ideas are endless..

Here is one (my first attempt and 6th project to date). I had some left over cedar tongue and groove I had used for the walls in our bathroom. It is only 3.75 inches wide and not to spec of your original project layout. It worked fine for me, well ... uhm... if I had a left the tabs along it would have been fine. I opted to go for more but shorter and thinner... Uh... not exactly the results I had desired. It was only a minor nick in the butt plate. :D Gotta find me some longer screws and now I gotta change out my light switch.

Thanks again. It was fun and pretty quick. I may create a jig and do all of the ones for my house at once...
Attachments
be a light wall switch.jpg
HD4 extended, Vcarve pro 8.5, 4th axis, Laser. Learning everyday...