Looking for banjo in .crv, .dxf, or .tap

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
markd

Looking for banjo in .crv, .dxf, or .tap

Post by markd »

I am wanting to add a banjo (logo) under my woodworking business info that I laser (3 watt) on back of my projects. Anyone have clue where I could find one? I don't know CAD or Fusion 360. Thanks.

Rando

Re: Looking for banjo in .crv, .dxf, or .tap

Post by Rando »

I'd start here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=banjo+graphic+dxf

Which software do you plan to use to make the laser path?

If it's Vectric VCarve or Aspire, just grab an image you like, import the bitmap, and then trace the bitmap to get the vectors. It might take some mucking with those vectors to get the results you're after, but it sounds like it's not going to be a full-size exact image, but just an icon/glyph/logo element. So, a simple vector-tracing, followed by curve-fitting those vectors, and maybe some node-level work, but shouldn't take more than an hour or so, I'd guess. That, of course, assumes the steps I've mentioned are already familiar to you, so a lot will depend on your patience and skills in Vectric. But, it shouldn't be too hard to get where you want to be.

If it's part of a business logo, it would be best to have it originally designed, for legal reasons, but you'll never get hit with anything if you don't. There's too much work from original image to the mark you're using for any infringement to occur.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Bing??

Ironically, the top hit on that link is this thread (for now). Good advice on the business logo--pay a graphic designer to design it from scratch to avoid the potential of costly legal troubles later.

Rando

Post by Rando »

You got a problem with Bing? Results are usually much more **relevant** with fewer ads and fewer garbage links. They all crawl the same stuff. When you post a list of relevant results, you can use what you want, if what you want is your every search to follow you everywhere.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Rando wrote:You got a problem with Bing?
I guess not, per se. I just never got into it because it showed up late to the scene and, originally, would actually use Google results to bolster the search engine. (This was widely reported and his since been fixed, obviously.) https://www.wired.com/2011/02/bing-copies-google/
Rando wrote:if what you want is your every search to follow you everywhere.
I block cookies from all sites by default and AdBlock prevents tracking scripts from running, anyway, but I can see how that's a concern with vanilla browsers.

I'm not trying to disparage you, Thom. Use what you like, I guess. I'm am a little curious what prompted the switch to Bing, since I don't personally know anyone that uses it aside from stock IE users.

Rando

Post by Rando »

No disparagement taken, in truth.

You say "switch" like there's a value judgement going on. I have **never** used Google as my primary search engine.

Personally, I have always loathed both Google the company and their search engine. Too many ads, too many sponsored search results, too much tracking, too much requirement to use only them if you want X, Y and Z, too many crappy and malware infected apps, too many lame initiatives that never reach fruition, too much "youth culture" in the workplace,... I could go on and on.

All that said, I also can't stand internet exploder, and this new "edge" browser is even worse.

I happen to like good photography. Bing provides a bit of that every single day. Google? Nothing but a lame cartoon in their name and an ugly bright white screen.

I suppose the flip-side could be asked of you: "why on earth are you still using that hideous behemoth, web 1.0 Google? Do you really think they're the only ones who can crawl the internet?"

I can only imagine the price you pay for keeping cookies turned off, of all things. Why? Because you don't like tracking beacons? But you'd rather no sites remember what you've done there? Cookies are no more insecure than any other part of the browsing experience, and in some cases, it's more. Cookies and security paranoia have exactly what to do with a search engine choice? As a guy who programs web sites also, I like--no, NEED--to know what the experience is for real, cookies included.

Wait...wasn't this about banjos? ;-)

Thom

hardidon

Post by hardidon »

Banjo.crv
(293 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Markd, Here is a .svg drawing that i found on the internet and imported into my V-Carve Desktop.

Your post caught my eye, as i have been learning the banjo for the last couple of years (well actually haven't done anything with it in the last year).