Wood toy car roadways?

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
mmatarella

Wood toy car roadways?

Post by mmatarella »

I've been wanting to make my grandson a wood road play set, like the Brio Road or Plan Toys sets. I am starting from scratch and am not looking to copy nor be compatible with those. He loves his wood train track which he has a lot of and wants to incorporate cars and roads. The Brio stuff is too $ and hard to find. I could try to start from scratch but if someone has already done a design... Beside the joints I've been playing with getting the radius of curves to be right so that things line up for a crossover / intersection etc. As I got into it there is quite a bit to it!

So wondering if someone has already done something like this.

Thanks,
Mark
Palm Harbor FL

Randy J

Re: Wood toy car roadways?

Post by Randy J »

Years ago I made a wooden train track for my kids with router jigs. Laying out the design took some time. Back then I used of a trammel, compass and router jigs. But now that can all be done easily in VCarve using the Offset, Fillet, Tangent and Trim tools. Attached are some pics of a simple layout. VCarve makes it easy and pretty quick.
Keeping angles to multiples of 15 degrees will make some of the round sections interchangeable. Cutting the straights to increments of 1 or 2 inches will also make them interchangeable, However, there will still be a few unique parts - but that's part of the fun too.
Attachments
01 Untrimmed vectors.jpeg
02 Joined vectors.jpeg
03 Simulated toolpaths.jpeg

ryan324

Re: Wood toy car roadways?

Post by ryan324 »

you can go through google for ideas !!!!