Depth Problem on Machine

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BayouWolf

Re: Depth Problem on Machine

Post by BayouWolf »

I just reran the piece. After zeroing all the axes, I told it to move to 0,0,0, and the tip of the bit was just touching the surface of the wood. When I ran the program, it immediately started cutting at 1/8" (all these cuts are set for 1/16"). After the program ended, I moved the machine back to 0,0,0 and it put the tip of the bit into the wood by 1/16". I also reran it further back on the machine, and it still had the problem.

As far as making sure the lead screw is lubed, I would hope it has enough on there since I've had the machine for about two weeks. I also make sure to brush/vacuum all the dust off the moving parts.

For the control box test, I understand the part about swapping the cables and performing an air cut, but I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around writing a program where X and Z are swapped. Can you give me some advice on a simple program for that?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Well, if you haven't lubed it since it arrived, I would do that. There's no telling how long this thing has set in the box, and lubing as part of setup is recommended in the owner's manual.

From your test which resulted in the tool being 1/16" lower after running the job, I'd say there is something wrong. Frankly it may all clear up with some lube, but you've certainly done enough troubleshooting steps to call NWA support and run through all you've done this far.

Another thing you can check is ensuring that all of the bolts that hold the carriage assembly are tight. While I strongly agree that they should all be tight from the factory/box, what you are describing still sounds mechanical to me, and not control box (although again, it could be the control box). Once you're sure these are tight (particularly the 4 on the top plate where the motor is mounted (and while you're there, make sure the motor screws are tight as well)), can you move the carriage up or down with your hands? If so, and you've checked the lead screw coupler and all the other 'stuff', the lead screw may not be attached properly. If you can't detect any movement up or down in the carriage, be sure to apply some lube and jog this into the lead screw before testing again.

For a test project that would get you enough movement to check the output - The 1in square tap file may be enough. If you are going to swap the z cable for the x for example, you don't want a project that moves in the x direction longer than the max travel you have for your z axis. So, if you swap the z cable to the x output, and the x cable to the z output, and run the 1in tap file, the z axis is going to travel 1" down, the x is going to move 0.125, the y is going to move 1". I'd go ahead and try this next as the tap file is already created and ready for use from your CNC Shark Control Panel install.

If you want to create your own test file - again, the workpiece can't exceed your z axis travel range. Depending on how you assembled the gantry, this could be 3 - 7".

Lastly, while I don't think this has occurred, I'd ask you to check the VCarve toolpath settings to ensure the start depth is 0.0. If it is set to something other than this, then the tool will start at that depth.
VCarve Toolpath.png

BayouWolf

Post by BayouWolf »

While I'm not if sure the 1" square test will show anything, I ran it after reversing X and Z cables. I used a wood block to mark the position of the bit, and it returned to the exact position.

I checked all the fasteners that I could get to, and they were all tight. Is there a way to check the ones that have nuts tucked inside those tiny slots?

What kind of lube would you recommend using? I'm guessing a non-greasy spray would be best.

I'll contact NWA either tomorrow or Tuesday whenever I get a chance. Not to sound stupid, but I'm guessing I just need to tell them all the tests I've tried? I'm just asking because this would be my second time trying to get help from them - when I first got the machine, the Z-axis was reversed. After a few emails that didn't really help, I found a post on here talking about the hidden menu where I was able to correct the Z-axis. This is why I love forums like this instead of always relying on CS (I hate having to go through their entire script).

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Yes, they'll have a script. So has they walk you through this, you can confirm that you've already tried that.

I use a silicon based spray - but just about any light oil would work as long as you remove any residual.

On the nuts that are 'in the slots' - I use a narrow flat blade to wedge them and tighten the screws.

Well, reversing the cables and having it return to the same spot is an initial sign that perhaps this is not a control box issue.

Sparkie113

Post by Sparkie113 »

This may help if it is a new machine.
When I started for the first time I found X & Y axis ok but Z was cutting a1/8 deep
Tech had me re flash the controller
If you need this file let me know and I will send it.
Rich

BayouWolf

Post by BayouWolf »

Sparkie113 wrote:This may help if it is a new machine.
When I started for the first time I found X & Y axis ok but Z was cutting a1/8 deep
Tech had me re flash the controller
If you need this file let me know and I will send it.
Rich
After all the tests I've tried on this thing, that seems promising. The problem only seems to arise when I run a program - it never happens when I'm jogging. Of course I've got a few questions about that.

1.) Is there any danger in flashing the controller? I've flashed the BIOS on computers before, and I know that small errors can make it unusable.

2.) Would I just use the computer to flash the controller?

Also, I keep having a problem when I launch the control panel. I always takes me several tries to get it to communicate with the control box. Could the USB cable be having problems, or is it just a glitch with the computer (it's running Windows 8)?

I'm just trying to get this thing going again as quickly as possible. I want to make a gift for my cousin's wedding next week, and I'd prefer not to have to give her an IOU.

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

I have the same issue some times getting controller to connect to computer

gordread

Post by gordread »

Try replacing the USB cable. If you are having trouble connecting to the controller, that is the easiest step, and they are easily destroyed. :) And support will ask you to try that anyway.

BayouWolf

Post by BayouWolf »

As requested by tech support, I sent the control box in last week. Just got it back in today, ran a test piece, and it turned out fine - the bit stayed at the correct depth. Tech support deduced that the driver board was acting up, and I caught it early enough. The repair also fixed the reversed Z-axis. Thanks to everyone for helping me with this problem.

MarkB611

Post by MarkB611 »

I recently spent a week with this problem. Much worse.

The router was slipping in the mount.

There are 5 bolts to tighten and I added some tape on the inside.

>Take the router out and tighten the two vertical bolts in the rear of the mount.
>Put a piece of tape (I used painters tape) on the inside of the mount.
>Replace router.
>tighten horizontal bolt in front of mount.
> tighten two front vertical bolts.

This fixed all movement for me.

Mark