Rookie Question

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Mavrick20002

Rookie Question

Post by Mavrick20002 »

I just purchased new bits for the CNC/Router and these bits are for doing signs. They are contour bits, Ogee bits but have a bearing on the bottom and I'm not sure how to implement them with my CNC machine as the design will cause the bit to plunge into a new piece of wood and I'm afraid the bearing will prevent this from happening. Am I just over thinking this and should go ahead and proceed?

As always, thank you in advance for what seems like a silly question on the surface.......no pun intended :D

4DThinker

Re: Rookie Question

Post by 4DThinker »

Bits with bearings on the end are not intended to be used on a CNC. Sometimes you can find the same profile with no bearing on the end. The only way to use the bits you describe is to first cut a profile path wide enough and deep enough for the bearing using an end mill, then follow with the bearing-ended down that path. I'd personally demote those bits for use with a hand held router, and look for non-bearing versions.

To let Vcarve know what the profile shape is you need to draw a section right side outline view or the cutting edge at actual scale. Have that vector selected when you created a new form tool.

Mavrick20002

Post by Mavrick20002 »

Let me ask then.....how can one get the fancy edges on signs we all see? I understand you could complete the sign and then take it to a router table to complete the edges but would prefer to let the CNC machine complete the project. Is everyone using Aspire to design the edge's or what? I just got my copy of Aspire 4.5 the other day. I see you can purchase specialty bits too that are fairly costly.....help???

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Depending on the profile you are after, a combination of endmills and ball-nose and round over (no bearing) bits may be able to create it using the same profile vector but different offsets and depths for each bit. I don't do signs but instead teach college kids how to make furniture and the typical edge is rarely more then a chamfer or round over or maybe a step-then-round over. For anything more complicate we use Aspire's modelling tools to extrude our profile shape along the edge vector, then cut it with rough and finish tool paths as a 3D cut.

Mavrick20002

Post by Mavrick20002 »

That's what i was thinking too. I did find some CNC bits on the ToolsToday website that have edges already created for such end results. Thank you for your time and input. I now have some options to consider....thank you again.