Bit selection for small font wood engravving

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tonybell9699

Bit selection for small font wood engravving

Post by tonybell9699 »

As I continue to wait for my shark to ship, I am looking at bitt selections, what size works well for small engravings on wood? I am thinking of and area 1" x 6". So the name would be very small... Thanks, I am new to this and there is so much information it is hard to find answers at times.

4DThinker

Re: Bit selection for small font wood engravving

Post by 4DThinker »

You'll get VCarve Pro with your Shark, and using its vcarve or engraving toolpath it'll let you make very detailed text/images using a 1/4" diameter or 1/2" diameter 60 degree or 45 degree v-bits.

gordread

Post by gordread »

In addition you could look at 1/8 shank bits. They are even tinier, and can do some VERY fine work. You can get these at Precise Bits, but for some reason their website is not responding at the moment. (www.precisebits.com).

Gordon

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I'd recommend that you don't move too far ahead in trying to buy bits. Usually it comes with a .5" 90 deg. Once you start using the machine you will learn if a bit doesn't perform well and you need to buy another. It is very easy to start buying bits and find that you never used them.

dan1931

Post by dan1931 »

I recommend you do not buy lot of bits until you start working. I personally don't like using router bits. I find they are made with inferior carbide. I favor two flute spiral end mills designed for steel cutting. Buy them from some one who supplies bits to regular machine shops. I buy from a company named Cutting tool source. Most of the time they cost less than router bits and last much longer. Most toll supply co. offer good sharpening service.
Bit selection is always a problem that becomes easier with time. If you are Vcarving You can always use a large bit to carve small lettering and a small bit to carve large letters. Here is how it works with a small bit. Say you are carving with a 1/4 V bit. It will carve lettering larger than the bit. The program recognizes that the bit is smaller than the width of some letters.It will carve the letter fine but it will do it in mutable passes instead one pass.

If you are carving small raised letters with a 1/4 end mill you will find that some areas between letters may not carve. When you preview the tool paths this will show up. All you have to do is do a roughing pass with a larger bit and a finish path with a bit small enough to clean up all the areas between the letters. tool path program will help you select the proper bit.

If you want to buy some bits before you get your machine I recommend a 1/2 vee bit a 1/4 and 1/16 end mill and a 1/8 ballnose bit. Cutting tool source Has 1/8 ball nose bits with a 1/4 shank and a 1" lOC and 1,2 or 3 degree taper. I have one 1/8 ballnose bit I have used at least 60 or 70 hours and it still cuts fine.
good luck
Dan