e1r9i7c9

Re: If You Had A Choice

Post by e1r9i7c9 »

I have 3 CNC shark, and for 4000$ my next one will be this

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/crp4848-4 ... p-137.html

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

I have went and looked at the Axiom, both models with router and with spindle. Extremely rugged. No software comes with them so there is an additional $600 investment plus clamps, etc.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Here's a thought ...

Maybe find the Vectric software on eBay or elsewhere for a very modest price. Use as-is, or upgrade.

There is merit to shopping for a value total package price. Makes sense to do. But after that is all said and done, it is the ability to use the machine without compromise that truly matters. Stiffness. Total metal construction. Non Proprietary controllers and software. Imho, that is what carries the day long after purchase price is forgotten.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Bob

Post by Bob »

[quote="McBuster"]Here's a thought ...

Maybe find the Vectric software on eBay or elsewhere for a very modest price. Use as-is, or upgrade.

McBuster,
How can you tell if this is legal software, or pirated, or stolen?
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

woodwkr

Post by woodwkr »

I've owned a shark for 3+ years and it has performed very well. I thought then and still think it is a very good all around value. I wish they would have had the Anniversary edition around when I purchased mine, it has a ton of the stuff I had to purchase separately.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

"How can you tell if this is legal software, or pirated, or stolen?"

Good question. One that has been asked for 20-30+ years.

Pirated software will not have the original CD/Dvd.

Stolen software? You will probably be able to judge that by who is selling it to you.

Legal Version ...

It will be on the original CD/DVD. If it has been installed, get the "Key", a series of letters/numbers used to unlock the software. Ask the original owner to contact the company and have them transfer it to you. Then find out if you need a new key or not.

Vectric software does not use the hardware to enforce any locks. Only the promise by the owner to use it by themselves on a small number of computers. If you have another person using it as well, that requires a separate license. Once the stuff is registered to you, anyone else might find it hard to get Help or Updates.

In this arena of users, I doubt many will be blatantly dishonest. The World Of CNC is really quite small and does not attract much of a sinister element. Use your common sense and all should be okay.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Another solution is to find an older version and buy it. Usually, heavily discounted. Then go to Vectric website to see what an Upgrade would cost. I know someone who got v6.x for $100, contacted Vectric of the transfer and then upgraded to 7.5 for $150.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

So it appears if you own a Shark, you are fairly well satisfied. I have to ask, can a spindle be put onto the Shark? I really want to use a spindle. I guess I just need to make a decision and go with it. I have researched the cnc machines to death. There are so many available.

zstat

Post by zstat »

I just upgraded to a spindle on my 60th ann. after a bit of a struggle getting all the parts from NWA and a water box built by a friends company(I don't like the pump in a bucket idea). I am planning on making some saw dust with it tomorrow... the cost was around 800$ through next wave. its a 1.5 KW spindle (water cooled)they just started offering.. its still has a few bugs to be worked out but after I whined and cried enough it seems to be coming together...

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Zstat,
How is the spindle working out? Hope that you are making happy sawdust.
Ed