Reset Up My Shark Pro Plus HD

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Reset Up My Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by bill z »

I’m looking to reset up my Shark Pro Plus HD and looking for additional ideas of what to and not to do.

The reason I’m going to reset it up is because my latest project required resurfacing and carving a single piece of 24 inch by 24 inch sweet gum cut from a stump. While doing this, I realized that the table top had too much hanging over the back where the router never ever goes (way too much room for clamps) and that left the router hanging over the front with no work top for clamping.

There may be advantages to not having any work top up front, like cutting dovetails (which I don’t do), but the real issue, as I see it, is sending the router way out there up front where the vacuum brush hangs out in the air and becomes ineffective. Dust goes everywhere. For smaller projects, I would center the project on the table and fill in that space in front to make the brush effective.

So, I thought I would move the table top forward some 4 inches to where the back of the table is even with the back of the bottom mount of the Shark. Then reposition the entire Shark back those 4 inches to better center it on the table. All of my cables are long enough to do this with still enough slack to work well.

Is there something I’m not thinking about that I should consider?

gordread

Re: Reset Up My Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by gordread »

Sounds like you've got a good plan.

If you have one of the older versions of the Shark HD (like me version 1). Then I would suggest that you take the opportunity to reinforce the base with some angle-aluminum. I believe that there are several posts here on how best to do that.

You can also take the opportunity to ensure that your bed is perfectly flat and square to the router by using a dial-calipre set in the router jaws and shim the base so that it is perfectly flat on all four corners and the middle.

Gordon

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks for the response and ideas.

This past weekend I did move things around and I am pleased with the results.

I purchased this shark used and the previous owner did reinforce most everything with aluminum. As for leveling the top again, for now, I will use strips of MDF as my sacrifice board and use my servicing bit to level it all up. Call me lazy.

gordread

Post by gordread »

It's not lazy bill. It is efficient. :)