New Buyer

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Heartland

New Buyer

Post by Heartland »

Hello to all ! I am a newbie to this CNC community and am interested in the Shark 4 extended / spindle package. I don’t know if it’s my lack of research or inability but I cannot find what power supply is needed for the complete HD4 extended / spindle package, 110/220 ? Dedicated? Surge protected? Again if it’s posted on the site I apologize for my lack of finding it. Another question is do’s and dont’s before I make my purchase of the HD 4 extended with spindle. Any advise will be great and thank you for your time ! Have a good day !

Barry Anderson

Re: New Buyer

Post by Barry Anderson »

My HD 3 with water cooled spindle uses 110v. It is not on a dedicated circuit, although most times it is running, nothing else is used on the circuit. I do plug my computer into a surge protected battery backup.
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Heartland

Post by Heartland »

Thank you for the response, to my understanding there is no component on the entire machine that doesn’t use 220, correct ? And is there anything that I should know before purchasing the unit ? Things you would have bought not bought ? Buying extra extended warranty ? Accessories ? Thank you !

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

The US units should all be 110v.
You should use at the very least a surge protected power strip.
Better would be a surge protected UPS.
I really like having the Zero Plate.
But not knowing what you plan on doing with the CNC it is hard to make suggestions on what else will be useful for you.
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

Heartland

Post by Heartland »

Thanks Ed for the response ! My wife and I plan on starting off making simple personalized signs, stand alone personalized names, cutting boards with inlays, photographs duplicating, then we can grow from there but to start if the personalized signs to start to get to know the software. So that’s all I can say without actually having the machine so I’m trying to catch all my corners before my purchase. I do want to work with aluminums and pvcs as well in time. Any suggestions of being able to play with “trial” software? If so which one should I practice with for the sharks ? And thanks again for he responses I can already see this community will be very helpful in my future endeavors! Thanks !

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

The Shark comes with the Vectric Vcarve Pro.
Trial version to practice on here: https://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve.htm
I strongly suggest watching the tutorials and doing the projects - it really helps with the learning curve.
You will need at least a starter set of router bits.
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

Heartland

Post by Heartland »

Thanks again for the response I cannot thank you enough. When you say starter set which ones are must haves ? How does your machine sit ? Stand ? Floor ? Bench ? Handmade/purchased ? for the unit ?

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

I'm also new and my Shark HD4 EB should be here early next week. I ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1 to get started. I also ordered several other styles of endmills in different sizes.
I'm building a steel stand for mine and will incorporate all the controls and a place for the new laptop as well.
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

Heartland

Post by Heartland »

Thanks for the info OCE ! And best of luck to your new arrival ! Other questions I have , does anyone recommend the extended warranty? And how does the machine recognize where your work peice edges are or is there a lot of “tape measure “ set up involved before running a project ? Sorry for the annoyance of these questions , I’d rather them be answered by expirence than my own ignorance ! Thanks again to all that have taken time to respond .

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

When you start a project, you tell the Shark where origin (0,0) is. From there, the g-code tells the shark where to move. It's up to you to ensure the Shark won't exceed its boundaries, meaning you'll need to think about workpiece placement when your workpiece approaches the size of the machining area. Unfortunately, the Shark has no automated limit switches, but with a little forethought it's not a problem.

I've never bother with the extended warranty. Next Wave is good about responding to inquiries and most CNC users have enough DIY experience to repair common problems that may occur.