Table/cabinet for the Shark

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ncavanaugh

Table/cabinet for the Shark

Post by ncavanaugh »

Just got my CNC Shark Pro Plus HD and wondered if there was any concenses on how the table surface should be.

wolffie

Re: Table/cabinet for the Shark

Post by wolffie »

Are you talking about the working table on the Shark or the table it is standing on?
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

First, welcome! Second, in regards to the machine table itself, there are already several posts ( see setting up you shark on the forum) regarding this topic. If speaking about what to put the machine on, I can say from my experience that it should be at least as large as the shark itself. The base should be extremely stable, as sway due to motion of all axis can cause flex in the gantry router causing incorrect carving. In addition, take a lot of care to level the machine table as much as the cabinet itself. This is only been my experience, so good luck!
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

ncavanaugh

Post by ncavanaugh »

I was refering to a table or cabinet to set the machine up on. In particular I was wondering about the height of the surface.

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Any table or cabinet will do, as long as it is stable enough to counter act the jerks and sways when the gantry is moving.
Make sure the top is at least the size of the Shark and, preferable extra space for the computer and control box.
I put the Shark on a non-slip mat to protect it from sliding around, it is heavy enough not to need to be bolted down.
MY "cabinet" is an old wall oven cabinet with an extra top put on it and shelves in the cabinet for all the paraphernalia one seems to collect.
I put a lift up shelf for the computer and control box for the computer and controlbox when the Shark is in use.
When I shut the Shark down, I put the gear inside the tank and closr the front, so everything is protected from the dust when I use the rest of my machinery.
The Shark throws a large amount of dust around so an enclosure is well worth it.
I close the tank when the Shark is running. I measured the noise and it makes a difference of 15 decibel when the tank is closed. We cannot hear it above the dust collector.
I just connected my dust collector to the "Shark Tank" but it didn't seem to make much difference, so I use the smaller vac to suck up the dust when I change tools anyway.
Cheers and have fun
Wolffie

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

ncavanaugh wrote:I was refering to a table or cabinet to set the machine up on. In particular I was wondering about the height of the surface.
Forgot about the working height.
Whatever is comfortable for you is good.
Cheers
Wolffie

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I'll chip in here for a height recommendation. I'm 6'1 and FAR prefer having my Shark Pro on a 35" high retired vet table. Much easier to work on the Shark than when I had it on a more typical 29"-30" table. Also mounted the Shark on one end with a divider between it and the PC/Controller/Power Supply. Have easy access to three sides, which comes in handy when cleaning up as well as clamping projects down.

ColoradoDon

Post by ColoradoDon »

Hi All
I hope this fits the thread, it's what I was looking for when I got my new HD. So hopefully this will help future people looking for ideas on how to build a cabinet. This is rather simple, and framed up with 2x4's. It's 30" deep x 29" wide. It stands 38.5" tall, with 3" casters on it. This puts the machine table surface at 43.5" tall, and I find this a comfortable height for me, as I'm 6'2. The top of the shelf was set at 25.5" from the bottom of the cabinet frame. The drop leaf table is 30" deep, and measures 17.5" wide, and I use this for holding the controller, while operating the machine. The shelf is hinged at the 38.5" level, and the hinge supports run from the bottom of the shelf.
Attachments
2012-09-09_17-32-11_655.jpg

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Like the setup you made for the shark. Makes it alot easier to get around it.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.