Which Router?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

roger85281

Which Router?

Post by roger85281 »

I was looking at the Standard Shark, but after reading this forum, I have just about convinced myself to purchase the Pro Plus HD. Any input on which router to select? I am a home woodworker and the system will only be used on weekends. Noise is an issue since it will be in my garage and I don’t want the neighbors to complain. (I will build an enclosure)

The Porter Cable 892 does not seem to have very good reviews on the Rockler site. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Which Router?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Roger - I'm enjoying the Bosch 1617EVPK - both on and off the cnc machine. The reviews I found were more favorable to this one vice the PC - but I have a hard time imagining the PC is that much inferior. Best prices online though - or the occasional big box sale.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

IMHO, The larger standard non-HD sharks are best avoided for several reasons, the HD solves some of the design problems of the previous machines and carries very little price premium for what you get.

I have both the PC 690 an 890 series routers and find them to be of spotty quality. The most recent 690 series I bought had a VERY sloppy chinese main bearing that had to be replaced immediately. Horrible runout and unusable cuts. The older PC routers had better japanese bearings of higher quality. The 890 series was better out of the box, but that might have been the luck of the draw.

I now am using the Bosch 1618 motor unit (available without a base) and find it of much better quality and runout. It has the same 3.5 inch body diameter as the Porter Cable units and will fit in the PC mount. Precisebits also makes collets for this router, which are must have items.

In the smaller routers I have had runout issues with the Bosch Colt. Also had lower bearing issues due to how the bearing is mounted in a non- metallic collar which lets it push up when plunged repeatedly. It seems that the Colt was built to trim, not to plunge and the bearings are not fully supported in the plunge direction, they can float the whole armature assembly up against a wave spring. When the lower bearing starts to move, it gets sloppy in its bore and more runout issues appear. If you use a V bit all the time it may not be that much of an issue. If you use straight bits, ramp your plunges and avoid a straight down cut for best longevity.

Hope this helps..
PS.. get the HD...

Bob

roger85281

Post by roger85281 »

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like you are both happy with your Bosch routers.