Runaway jog button destroys job

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mdcavanaugh

Re: Runaway jog button destroys job

Post by mdcavanaugh »

Had a new runaway jog today. I just needed to notch an existing part. This time I confirmed that you do NOT have to allow the mouse to drift off the jog button. And it's random, most of the time it stops when you lift off the mouse button - it runs away when you least expect it. :evil: Going to try the new version now.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

You might want to try a different mouse or keyboard - to see if it makes a difference. It probably would. Again, I can duplicate a 'runaway like' condition - but it's not random.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I think the direction that you need to be looking at for a solution is more from within your computer. My gut feeling when I have seen this happen on my system is that the computer was "busy" and didn't go out to look for keyboard presses or releases until it had already missed it. I think this is even more likely to happen on a USB device such as the remote numeric keypad that I use. I believe that it sees the keypress to jog but gets busy and misses the release of that key when I let up. When I speak of "gets busy" what I am referring to is all the automatic stuff that we let our computers do at their discretion. Things such as allowing Windows to check for and many times download and install updates on a schedule. Another system item that soaks up processor time is virus scans. I know virus scans are supposed to be done in the background but when they start they can often consume 80-95% of the processor's resources that can cause a delay in checking I/O devices such as keypads, keyboards and the like, sometimes delaying it to the point that the key release is missed. I have always been able to stop the run-a-way by pressing the key again and releasing it but by then if you are routing with the jog function its understandable that it may be too late. I have set my virus program to run when I am least likely to be using the computer and stopped the automatic windows update. I allow it to check for updates, but it has to have my OK as to when to install the update. Also related to updating, I have had numerous occations where the update was installed in the background but it pops up that it needs to reboot the computer to make the updates take effect and this is done automatically unless you stop it and delay the reboot which you have to do every 20 minutes or so to keep it from restarting your computer in the middle of a carve.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

I wonder where all these updates are coming from?

My shop laptop does not have internet access and yet it updates every so often when I want to shut it down.
Sometimes it even tells me I have important Adobe updates to install.
Yet, If I want to connect to the internet, it tells me there is no access.
I do have a wireless router but it is too far away for my laptop to connect.
Very strange.
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

FredJuergens

Post by FredJuergens »

Hi Joe -- a while back, your referred to "NWA Downloads Page". I'm inexperienced enough on this whole Shark thing that I don't know what you're referring to. Could you please give a URL for the page you're referring to? Thanks.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Hi Fred,

I'm pretty sure this is the page he is referring to. Has all the latest software updates for the Sharks as well as Manuals.

http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com