New to a CNC Shark

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

westco61

New to a CNC Shark

Post by westco61 »

Greetings from Colorado everyone. My name is Wayne and I am getting close to juming into being an owner of a CNC Shark pro plus HD. I wanted to take the time and introduce myself as I am sure I will have tons of Questions. I have not ordered the michine yet and my first question isthis, would it be wise to buy a new machine or if I concider a used one what are things to look for or ask the seller? I want to start a sign business and it looks like the shark will be just the right tool for this venture. I have looked at videos and pictures of things you all have made and I am very excited. So for now I look forward to your help in my new venture.

ttolli

Re: New to a CNC Shark

Post by ttolli »

Hey Wayne -
Congrats, I am a newbie myself just now up and running or crawling I might say. I had the same opportunity but I decided to buy new. At least I have someone to holler at for 30 days anyway.
You will love this new venture, I am sure of that!!!
Kind Regards,
Tim

westco61

Post by westco61 »

Thanks Tim, yea I have decided to go with a new machine. I cant wait to get started

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Thirty days?
Is that all the warranty you get over there?
Blimey,
You won't even get time to get it up and running before the warranty period runs out.
Now I can see why we have to pay more, at least we get 12 months.
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

ttolli

Post by ttolli »

Sorry Wolfie-
I should have used LOL after 30 days, just a little sarcasm.
My apologies
Tim

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

And here I was wasting my sympathy with you :mrgreen:
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Tim,

I kind of agree and prefer to buy new anytime I can afford it. I hit the good deals last year (close to this time) where there was a $200 promotional discount (sale or what ever). I would even go as far to say that I suspect they might do the same this year. But then I also know that once the decision has been made its a tough thing to do to wait. So thats something you have to wrestle with. I bought the HD when it was priced at $3999 and paid $3799. It was still real new and Rockler had just put it on Amazon and had made a mistake on the listing there. At the time there was free shipping being offered (and of course the Shark doesn't qualify for that... has a $60 shipping surcharge) but with the mistake in the listing I got the $200 off sale price and free shipping, so I felt "the time was right" for me to be an owner instead of a drooler. LOL

I love good deals though and if I saw a used one I would certainly consider the deal but would be cautious of a few things to help protect myself from a "lemon" or at least know that was part of the reason for it being offered. First when I'm looking for a good deal I'm not looking for $50 or $100 off... I'm looking for a $1000 off on a purchase of this size. To get that kind a deal sometimes it is surrounded misfortune, death of the owner, physical health prob etc. What you want to avoid is someone who had never been on the forum but shows up to sell his machine with the first post he ever made. I would like to know somehow that he has been successfully using it and not fighting it since the day he bought it. I'm sure there are lemons that get by just like with cars or anything else. Sometimes you can take a lemon and fix it, but thats a chance you have to take and it has to be WELL worth it in my oppinion. Now if it was being offered by a forum member who had been having all kinds of success and posted projects you kind of gain confidence that the deal is what it appears to be...... Just some common sense on "good deals"

Overall, I think the HD is the only machine that I would buy at this point. The mechanical advantages are there over the other models and the overall value for the price is certainly there. Don't be afraid of the "I don't know squat about CNC" feeling... I didn't either and I'm surviving LOL The forum is a great place for operational help, ideas, new things to try etc. and from everything I can hear NWT had very good to exceptional support of their product although I can't prove this as I have had no major issues to test this with (good indications on the machine quality and fitness) Anyway, we can all drown together ha ha ha

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

cnick60

Post by cnick60 »

I agree with Roger completely, and I have one for sale on here!!! Lol... You will see from my numerous post that I have had my issues, only not with the rig I am offering. All of my troubles came when I went with the longer extended table. I have since had a member on here build a upgraded version using my extended table and new parts. That is why I have the pro plus for sale. I need the extended table for the signs I make or I would have just kept the pro.

Good luck, and have fun! These things are a blast!!!