Planning Pro Plus HD Purchase, bits and probe stylus?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jarel Design

Planning Pro Plus HD Purchase, bits and probe stylus?

Post by Jarel Design »

Hi,

First thank you to those who have supplied so much information that has helped me decide on purchasing a Pro Plus HD before year's end...

Question: Are there different sized stylus for the probe? Either way, where do I purchase a replacement stylus for the probe (I'm new and can imagine breaking one... even then, I'd like to have a spare, just in case.

Question: Where do I purchase 1/2" and 1/2" shank tapered ball end router bits?

I create prototypes, mostly working in RenShape and Raku Tool urethane modeling board... I plan of digitizing items I make by hand, digitize it, then "Mirror" on the computer and produce the other "symmetrical" side of the original... also scaling up and down from an original...

Not sure which is the best style of bit (I've seen conical, half and ball end...) Most of what I create are toys for various companies... I create in the modeling board mostly to use as vacuum form bucks...

The Shark Pro Plus HD seems to fit all my needs and the size is perfect for my mid-sized vacuum former... I would just feel better knowing about replacement and different sized stylus for the probe and then where to obtain bits to match...

(An idea of my applications: "carving" vehicles (created most of the Batmobiles for Mattel during the past 16 years and other assorted toys....)

Thanking you in advance for your time and help...

PS: I also want to obtain extra stock hold down clamps... Where?

(I've searched the vendor's website but can't seem to find the information..._

Thanks again!

Richard

Jarel Design

Re: Planning Pro Plus HD Purchase, bits and probe stylus?

Post by Jarel Design »

Well,

That was quick!

Did some more research on the internet and found "precision Bits" with a great selection of bits and more importantly, INFORMATION about applications and differences which helped a LOT! Also learned about their collet adapter for 1/8" shank bits as well as information about the stock PC 892 collet and how out of round it was! Eeeek! COnsidering that I also want to use 1/8" shanks, I'll be ordering their 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" collet set... fits my needs perfectly...

also found replacement probes for the Shark Probe (I can picture myself breaking, bending etc and wanted to have a couple in stock here in the shop "just in case"...

Really looking forward to buying this...!

Also learned about the 4th axis "lathe" accessory coming up from Shark later this year for " $1,000"... This will totally fit my needs for the foreseen future..

PS: Added some photos of my latest project... Vacuum formed quad copter body... produced in .020" HIP Styrene... molded over Ren Shape modeling board... all work done by hand (some engine parts turned on lathe...) I'm thinking the time spent producing the molds would have been reduced by half had I only sculpted/machined one half, digitized it using the probe, mirror it in software and then CNC machined the symmetrical matching half...? Yes? I'm also Hoping? That I can now take the mold for this craft, digitize the entire thing and scale it up by 200% to produce a larger set of molds?

Not many responses here, so I may have to contact the software vendor for the software included with the Shark Pro Plus HD to find out what it can and can't do...

Best,
Richard
Attachments
DSCN0243.jpg
DSCN0235.jpg
DSCN0243.jpg

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

I am on the other side of the world but will respond anyway.
Welcome to the club :D
Once you get the machine set up, you are going to have heaps of fun.
We have an amazing bunch of people here who will always help you sort out your problems..The lack of respons until now is most probably because you didn't seem to have any problems, just musing to yourself.
Welcome anyway.

Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

As you probably found out, there aren't different sizes of the touch probe. I'd be interested in what you found out with regard to 'replacement probes' as I don't see this listed on the NWA store site.

The Rockler site says that the Shark comes with the VCarve Pro and Cut3D software. Both are made by a company called Vectric and you can download right now fully functional versions of their software and start learning how to use them - http://www.vectric.com. Vectric has a pretty amazing set of tutorials, as well as online document/manual, and an equally amazing forum / support network. The biggest investment you can make, whether you've ordered the machine or not, is to install the VCarve software, and work your way through each and every tutorial. I recommend you watch it once - hands off the computer; watch it a second time and 'follow along' in VCarve, and then the third time see if you can duplicate it without the video. Then move on to the next one. It seems a little excessive, but frankly you're spending 4K, and if you want the bang for the buck, you have to know how to use the software. All of these tutorials are available from their web site. You don't have to wait to receive the software after you purchase the Shark.

In your case, I think you may at some point upgrade from VCarve to Aspire. The good news again is that you can test this out with the trial software before making the investment.

The other thing you'll find with VCarve and Aspire is that you preview the carving - and that of course is based on the toolpath and the tool you selected. So you can actually 'try out' different tooling before you even decide to purchase it as well.

A wide range of use cases - some use a scarf/sacrificial board, some don't. In either case, whether a scarf or the bare t-track, I find myself using several jigs. Both support use of jigs (with a scarf board use a self threading insert to attach the bolt to). Some use the clamps you can purchase at Rockler (for example http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER, others use home made clamps of various types. A good post on a different forum is - http://www.3dsignforum.com/shop-tools/c ... 2/#msg4622. I know somewhere on this forum one of the members posted a VCarve project file for wooden clamps, I just can't find it right now. I've found this kit to be a handy resource in the shop - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER.

I am a big fan of Precise Bits - both their precision collets and their cutters - and their knowledge and willing to answer what is probably the same question when I call them. With the HD, I purchased the set that gives me 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 capability. I've also purchased from others, including Amana (http://www.toolstoday.com), Onsrud, etc. You'll probably want to give the different Amana families a look as they have some nice cutters, small and large, that may be appropriate for the work you describe.

Bit Suppliers - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=227
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=720
Bits for beginner setup: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=750
Bits and Speeds: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13323

Some posts on the touch probe that you may find useful when the time comes:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=322
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ouch#p6834

I can't emphasize enough the value you will realize if you spend the time with the tutorials.

Enjoy.

Jarel Design

Post by Jarel Design »

WOW!

Thanks for all the help!

(I need to look on this forum to see how to have notices sent to my email... I just came on to browse...)

I did indeed download 3D cut, Vcarve and Aspire... seems Aspire will let me do most of what I want...

I also discovered precise bits AND their amazing collet set (1/8, 1/4 and 1/2)

Definitely having a long learning curve with the trial programs... backed off and bookmarked their video tutorials... just watching and hoping some sticks... ;)

99 percent of what I will be using it for is digitizing models I build by hand that have symmetrical elements... toy vehicles primarily... I used to (still do) sculpt, machine and sand both sides attempting to get them symmetrical... what I am planning is to only shape one (the fast part of what I do, then digitize, mirror and cut the matching half... Glue them together and then use them for vacuum form bucks (molds)...

Curious about digitizing deep grooves (then of course getting bits to match the depth.... 2 ~ 3 inches...deep with steep narrow sides... There are only a couple of spots, so Im thinking of claying them up to the probe/cutter bit depth allowable, digitize, change the size (this is a reduction project... I have a sculpture that I want to reproduce in cast resin... I will only be digitizing once, reducing once then molding the reduced sized piece in silicone to cast resin multiples...

For now, I definitely overloaded! Too Much Information! LOL! I can't get to sleep imagining all the applications with what I do... (mostly toy design for some of the larger companies, specializing in prototype development from their sketches (not blueprints or CAD files... I have to sculpt by hand!

I've asked this over in the Vectric forum but I'll ask her too....

I want to be able to digitize a model, (airplane fuselage)then stretch a portion from behind the cockpit to the front of the tail feathers while leaving the rest alone... someone shared that aspire would do this...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Richard

(here are some other photos of what I do (mostly client work) the brown color in some is renshape (urethane modeling plank.. very soft and super easy to cut... target for my upcoming Shark purchase, white is hi impact styrene, flat or vacuum formed using the carved brown renshape as my mold, the grey is an epoxy clay.

Ahah! I found the little box to notify me when there is a reply! :) (Did I share that most of my friends consider me computer illiterate? kind of true, but I'm tenacious!

response to the question about the probes... found them at the Shark website (different name than shark) replacements are about $25~ $30, I seem to remember a .2mm ruby ball? I'm accumulating printed sheets for all that I plan to purchase at once... if you can't find it let me know and once I have it printed out, next time I show up here (seems to be more and more frequently! LOL!, I'll post it.... I don't recall seeing anything about different lengths... not sure what the original one is (2" +?)
Attachments
bat garage, hydrofoil, superman claw, wild planet, jpg.jpg
Sand raider, Aero Hawk prototypes.jpg
Transformers, Ninja Turttles, Wildcats, Max Steel, Hypernau.jpg

Jarel Design

Post by Jarel Design »

I just discovered water cooled spindles!

At first I thought this was way too complicated and didn't understand the pros for a motor like this...

QUIET! SMOOTH, Cool and able to run long times without overheating very little out of round on the collet...

Although more expensive, I'm totally sold on upgrading/modifying to mount a water cooled spindle motor on my Shark.

Searched around and found a few with 220v DC controllers, 1.5kw (2hp) under $400. I've worked with smaller versions of this brushless type motor and know they are smoother, longer lasting and more efficient than regular brushed/air cooled motors... The aluminum spindle holder that comes with this system will need to be adopted to fit the vertical plate of the stock shark router motor mount rather than the stock horizontal air cooled router mount. I'm thinking this will add some stiffness to the assembly.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Richard

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Keeps us posted, please.

I found one on eBay but didn't know how water cooled works.
There is a very good speed control that some members use but I can't remember the name.
I use my Dremel at the moment.

Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

Jarel Design

Post by Jarel Design »

I found quite a few on ebay...

The motor is attached to two hoses (clear vinyl type), one is inflow, the outer outflow. The outflow goes to a small pond pump ($30 range, plastic, plugs into the wall and is quiet). From there it goes to a small radiator with a fan. I saw some guy on you tube use an old automobile heater radiator. There's also a small radiator specifically designed for this that comes with a 12volt muffin type fan (under $100?) from there it goes back to the motor...

SUPER SIMPLE! :)

There are also small (inexpensive) digital thermometers that you can place along the water hose line so you can keep track of temp.

It just looked so simple... especially for the smaller 1kw to 1.5kw (3hp)...

What I couldn't get over was how smooth these motors run! SUPER quiet and very (SUPER) tight run out tolerances...

Don't confuse the look with similar air cooled models.... they look the same.

Wolfie, I've seen your posts around here a lot....

I've been reading through the complaints about the shark (I'm planning on getting the Shark Pro Plus HD... I don't mind tightening every single nut and bolt and I'm fine building a vertical aluminum router/spindle mount plate... I've seen mods done to the bottom of the tables (I LOVE the ease of use of the slots and clamps and understand tightening in the wrong spots too tight can bring the table out of alignment even with the reinforcements...

I've had my shop/studio for over 16 years and know that EVERY piece of machinery needs tuning, maintenance etc... (I can cut a 6" 1/2" round dowel on my band say (Delta top of the line) and it comes out parallel....

Should I be concerned about the shark? Would love to discuss this topic more... :)

Thanks!

Richard