Y-Axis not square with X-Axis.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chadweberg

Y-Axis not square with X-Axis.

Post by Chadweberg »

I’m having issues with the Y-axis staying square with the X-Axis. The X-Axis is completely square with the blue rail on the bed and is setup to go the long ways on my bed. But when going the short distance across the Y-Axis from one end of the 28” bed to the other it is off by .26”. How can this be fixed? Up to now I’ve only run smaller projects and it is not noticeable. But now I’m running a little bigger project is doesn’t work. I’ve had the machine since May of this year. Please help with suggestions.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Y-Axis not square with X-Axis.

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi,

I don't know if there is any expectation that the gantry is square with the t track rails. I frankly never thought about it or asked - I just assumed it would not be square, and checked and then accounted for it. In my case, I generally have a scarf board on top of the t track and use a very simple project that drills a series of 1/4" holes in the surface in an "L" shape. I can slip any panel into this jig and 'know' that the material is square to the gantry.

I think I recall seeing some posts over the years where some folks have created a jig consisting of a straight edge piece of wood or low profile metal that is square to the gantry, and then rest the material against this.

I suspect if you modified the t-trak mounting brackets (or replaced them as some have done), you could move the t-trak into a position where they end up square to the gantry at the end of the adjustment and tightening process as well.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

If you cut a square piece, does it turn out with 90 degree sides and equal length diagonals? or is that off.
(regardless of how it aligns with the table slots.)

If the machine cuts square, aligning the table slots is pretty easy if you don't mind drilling 2 new mounting holes in the front or rear bar..
.26 is a whole bolt diameter off in aligning the table.

I guess I read this as the machine is not square, but the long axis does align with the table slots.
1/4 inch is a pretty large offset if your corners are not 90 degrees.

If this is the case I would check to see if the gantry is leaning forward or back on one side in comparison to the opposite side. If the gantry is leaning on one side, the machine goes out of square. If you put a 90 degree square on the table top and run one edge up to touch the front of the bearing bars in the gantry, is it square? If that is OK, you may be able to get some adjustment by loosening up the lower bearing assembly and the "under the table" cross bar and seeing if there is enough play to square the gantry and retighten.

The table the machine sits on should be flat as well, not twisted.

Hope this helps.

Bob

drueth

Post by drueth »

Chadweberg

I am not sure if I understand you correctley, But If you are square in your work piece to the top I would not do that. Attached is one way that I use. To set the boards up I use a dowel in the router rather than a bit. Jog the router to one end of the Y movement. and set the board to just touch the dowel . Move the gantry to the other end of the Y movement. and adjust the board until it just touchs the dowel. You may want to use a fealer gauge If you have one. You may have to more the gantry back and forth severial time to get the board to just touch the dowel. One you have the Y board set and clamped use a square and set the X board. To check to see the X board clamped propper move the gantry in the X movement and check to see how it followes. If you see the dowel is not touching the board or is binding to the board move the X board. (I found most of my large squares have all failed the drop test) Once you can move the gantry along the X and Y board check that the two board are square to each other. It would be a good idea to start the router with the dowel in it to make sure it is straight. These two board stay on the top all the time and I just put my project piece up againest them and I know it is square to the gantry.
Attachments
This is how I square my project to the Shark
This is how I square my project to the Shark
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012