need help with layered text

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fast eddie

need help with layered text

Post by fast eddie »

Hey Guys maybe someone can help me with layering text? I have tried to research it myself but to no avail... I am trying to make a simple Welcome (on top) to our home ( layered under the Welcome) I followed these instructions but cant seem to get by the first part, is this correct or is there an easier way? please any help is appreciated... signed confused

Select the text, right click and use the Copy to Layer command to send a copy to a new layer. Make this layer invisible for now.

Select the border and the smaller text and create a shallow pocket toolpath. In the example I used a cut depth of 0.1".

Open the Layer Manager and make the second layer with text visible and active by checking the box and clicking on the layer name to highlight it.

Select all the text and convert to curves using the right click menu.

Now you will use the Weld Selected Vectors tool (icon is in the Edit Objects section) to join the small text with the large text but there is one thing to be careful of - after you select all the text, hold down the shift key and deselect all the "islands" in the letters unless they touch a part of the text you are welding to. If you don't do this, the islands will disappear when you weld, but you can simply do an undo and try again. When you have all the vectors selected/deselected click on the Weld tool icon.

When happy, select the border again and this newly created shape and calculate a slightly deeper pocket toolpath. I used 0.2" in the example.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: need help with layered text

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I understand layering in the CAD program, but I am not clear about where your problem lies . Do you have a sketch of what you are trying to do so that we can assist?

Ralph

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Ralph,

This is what he's trying to do.
Attachments
layered text.jpg
3 Layers.jpg
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

gordread

Post by gordread »

Assuming that you are using VCarve Pro.

You are going to have to layout the text where you want it, and then, using multiple copies of the text use the 'text to curve' function and then use the join functions within VCP to create multiple toolpaths.

First you would cut out the toolpath that removes everything from around the combined 'big text and small text' using a pocket toolpath around the combined text and a rectangle (or whatever frame shape) and a cut depth starting at the surface of the wood and down to the bottom of the 'big text'. The next toopath is going to be the one that cuts out just the 'small text' using a pocket around the small text and the previous rectangle. This will remove the wood from the 'large text' from the surface of the wood to the depth of the 'small text'.

I hope that this makes sense. Unfortunately I've not done this, but I think it should work.

Good luck.

Gordon