Help with bit set up and more

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DougE

Help with bit set up and more

Post by DougE »

I need help with a few items;

First, putting this tool into the tool library properly. (see attachment. Rockler bit 90869)
Second attachment is what I entered into as values for the database.
Please let me know if these values are correct or not.
**I dont' see where the 7/16 value is put into play. It seems like a value that should go somewhere??**

I need to cut a 'simple' circle.
Material is .481 thickness
The circle at -0-zero must be 1.523.
At it's exit it should be .5637. (This is according to tangents based on 45 degrees and thickness of .481)

This will be a tapered hole, no material in the center remains.

When I set this up as a 'vcarve' I received the error message saying I was going to cut through the material. I 'knew' this but I didn't think the dimension it gave me was corrrect (Max depth 0.7712) I don't know where this dimension is even coming from or how it was calculated??

Your help on this would be appreciated.
(Warning,.. lots more 'duh' questions to come from me.)

Doug E
Attachments
rockler 90869.jpg
Capture tool dbase Vcarve.PNG

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Help with bit set up and more

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

The set up looks ok, the feed rate should probably be 40-60 depending on the depth of cut.

It is showing a cut through because of the way a V-Carve is calculated. The software will try to cut a perfect "V" in between two vectors (lines). Because it is a V bit, the computer knows how far apart the cutting edges are, and will cut the point down until the sides meet the lines. So, of example, you have two lines 1/4" apart. With a 90 degree V bit, the depth of cut would stop automatically at 1/8" deep between the two lines because at that point the bit' sedges are 1/4" apart. The wider apart the lines are, the deeper the cut.

If you wish to pocket out the area between lines, but only to a pre-set depth, then you can set that depth in the box marked "Flat Depth" where cut depth would normally be filled in.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

DougE

Post by DougE »

Thank you Ralph for your time and answers.

I was a bit baffled on the number it was coming up with on the cut-through warning.

I thought it had something to do with half value, but I couldn't get the same value on my calculator... (I'll blame it on the hour I seem to have lost overnight)

Again, thank you very much for your help and explanation(s)

csnyder3

Re: Help with bit set up

Post by csnyder3 »

can someone help me please? i have the 5 pc cnc router bit set from rocklrer and cannot get them in my v-carce tooling library.
1) 3/8" Cove
2) 45degree chamfer
3) 3/8" round-over
4) 1/2" core box
5) 60 degree v groove **(installed this one)**

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The V-bit should already be in your tool library, just like the screenshots earlier in the thread.

To create bits for custom forms, you need to tell VCarve the exact shape of their forms. Here are instructions for that, at the bottom of the page:
https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/VCar ... abase.html