Burnt wires?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

headhunter

Burnt wires?

Post by headhunter »

I have scoured the internet with no luck. I went out to clean around my shark and notice the x-y cables are burnt. The black plastic around the cables were melted together. When I got them pulled apart I noticed the actual x-y cable wires are burnt . Is there any reason these cables should get that hot to melt the wires? The control box has plenty of air circulating around it. Is this thing a fire hazard? I've only had it about a month.
Thanks in advance for the replys.

rungemach

Re: Burnt wires?

Post by rungemach »

The wires themselves should not get warm in use if they are sized correctly and there is no other fault in the motor or controller.
Do your cables get warm in use ? If the wires are bundled and heat shrink tube is used over them, an over jealous application of heat to the shrink the tube during manufacturing can also start melting the inner conductor's insulation.

I have seen older sharks that used what appear to be computer serial cables to extend the length of the motor leads. Since the conductors in the cable were so thin, they were "doubled up" to use two wires per motor lead. IMHO, not a great practice. I would prefer the correct size conductor all the way to the controller plug.

The motors themselves can get quite warm without damage, but the wires should always remain cool.
Last edited by rungemach on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

I would say yes, a definite fire hazard. I would have a fire extinguisher handy if I were you and contact NWA for a solution.
Rick

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Thanks for the reply's-I called NWA this morning. They said it should have never gotten that hot. They are sending new cables and motors. They also advised not running it in the meantime...Which is a bummer cause I have a 4 day weekend...Arghh

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

And by the way- My wires do look like thin pc cables..And they do get warm just turning the machine on after a few seconds. I'm guessing they are probably 6 feet or so in length. This is a shark plus hd..I was doing a simple carving and the the thing started carving everywhere but, and when I hit the e-stop, that's when I noticed the burnt cables. Glad I don't leave this thing unattended when in use...Again, thanks for the replies

woodworker1960

Post by woodworker1960 »

I noticed last night that my x and y cables have been melted together also. Not happy especially after paying the amount of money I did for this thing. Making a call this morning.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

another similar incident here.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 17&p=21667&

should owners be checking their wiring for hot cables?

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

I consistently do after my incident. I'm continuously grabbing the wires to see if they are getting hot or warm to the touch anytime I run anything. Haven't heard of the cause, never got a reply after I sent my motors back. But I am still leary of this machine...

woodworker1960

Post by woodworker1960 »

Headhunter, when I called the support number, I was told that there was a 2 or 3 month period (I purchased mine back in July of 2014) that some bad wires had gotten past quality control. Just so happens that mine was one of them. I was sent 2 new motors but my third motor's wire was still getting hot. I called back and they sent me out another. I too am very conscious of this problem now. But seems like the wires on mine are doing fine right now. Keeping my fingers crossed

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

Well my controller woes continue, now I too have burnt wires. Of course this happens on a Saturday... great.... just great....

Tony