Spindle For Shark Available

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

4DThinker

Re: Spindle For Shark Available

Post by 4DThinker »

zstat wrote:As was I... The web site says EVERYTHING you need to make it work... I am so frustrated atm.. I can not even find there dang number..
From their facebook page: 419-318-4822. Hope that helps. You can also email them at support@nextwaveautomation.com.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

try this number 419 318 4822 they will help.

zstat

Post by zstat »

Thanks for the number, I called and received a machine, I left a message...
Thank you again

zstat

Post by zstat »

Ok, I spoke to tech support and they are sending me out a Dbl clamp (Which they just started) So I will not be able to give anymore info about the process until next week..
A.D.D. does not help with the waiting :)... I guess I can research the water system until then... Would be nice to find a self contained box that seals for the water...

Tim

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Contact Sam at business@dixiebillet.com for making aluminum custom clamps. His work is fantastic. He made mine and it is perfect!! I've never had a slippage issue.

Also, I believe that the spindle is rated at 2hp and this is approximately equal to 1.5KVA (about 1.5KW)

I contacted tech support to get more info and they only repeated what was in their ad. Not much! I'm not sold on buying this "upgrade." Is the speed variable and how? They have no answer for TIR!! That is really important. It is obviously made in China for the price and may or may not be of reasonable quality. It is certainly inexpensive compared to commercial quality spindles.
Ed

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Yes, it certainly looks like the standard Chinese spindle and inverter that are quite common.
The TIR and bearing quality I have found to be hit and miss on these, unless the importer is doing tight incoming QA checks and weeding out the bad units.

The VFD seems to have a speed potentiometer on the front panel, which most of them do not. This would seem to indicate manual control, not through software.
The speed potentiometer can be added to these variable frequency drives either on the front panel or externally. The drive seems to be already wired with a power cable and cable to the spindle. Not hard to do, but eliminates getting it wrong. Also, I Imagine the drive has all the internal settings correctly set, so you do not have to do this yourself. (as with many of the ebay type sellers.) Hopefully you received a manual for the VFD. If not they can be found on the web.

From the markings on the spindle, it seems to indicate it is made for 110 volts, not a 220 volt unit that is being run on 110 volts. So hopefully it will make full power.

How it is intended to be turned on and off from the shark controller remains to be seen. I don't think you can control it from the incoming AC like you would a router. I would expect something fancier, especially since the Shark controller main fuse is just on its limit with a larger router. It would be nice if the spindle power bypassed the Shark controller, and the controller just signaled the spindle drive to start and stop.

Many of the Chinese spindle water fittings are pretty fragile, so selection of the proper size water tube is important as you can snap one of the water fittings by over-tightening if not careful. If the connection is leaking, the tendency is to tighten it down more and the fittings can break. They are not commonly found in the US if you break one (and the snapped off thread remains in the spindle.)

If you use the "bucket of water" approach, it helps to elevate the bucket to a little below spindle level. That way you do not have to pump the water up to the spindle if the lines drain back when the pump is turned off. Also, watch out for slime and algae forming in the water which can clog up the spindle.. I went to a fully closed system with a radiator and small fans. I also fitted a small "pinwheel" type flow indicator in the cooling lines to show that there is flow going through the unit. You can get these at places like Cole-Palmer.

Hope some of this is useful for you.
Attachments
Flow indicator
Flow indicator

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hope that this thread has a happy conclusion. I am passively interested in a spindle but can live with a router. Good luck!

zstat

Post by zstat »

I spoke to them (NWA) and they are sending a new double clamping system. I should get on Monday... My concern is (2hp (1.5Kw) liquid cooled brushless Spindle. 24,000 RPM max 110V 13 amp inverter with readout display
Er11 Collet system includes 1/4" and 1/8" shank collets
Coolant hoses and fittings Submersible 110V fluid pump for coolant.
Clamping kit for Spindle to CNC Shark
Interface kit for connection to Shark controller)
I received no interface kit. and 0 instructions on set up... no size of water container no clamping system. Only book I got was on the inverter and its written for a ITT Grad.. :)... I have a 14 gal. container being built that will house the pump. and a flow indicator... I thought it was rather bad customer service when I called and they said it would take 4 days to receive the clamps to hold the Spindle, I asked "Why can I get the whole kit in 2 days and it takes 4 to6 to get clamps you forgot... They said if I want them quicker it will cost me 26$... I said but I already paid for them and can not use this 900$ piece of equipment until it arrives.. she said sorry. Then I asked for some type of instructions and she said she would have to ask... I have no clue on the interface part.. it did not come either and with out instruction I am not sure what it would be...
I really enjoy my CnC but I am getting frustrated... Kind of wish I would have gone another route or used the money to upgrade to aspire...
I also wonder if it can be retrofitted to hold a 1/2 in bit?
Worst is I just ordered this plus 3 nuts and all the collets.. http://www.precisebits.com/products/equ ... PG!!!#Tabs

Tim

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

don't forget to put all this in a review on thier website for all the world to see.
Not that they'll approve it.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

The commonly available 2.2 KW Chinese units have a larger collet system and go up to 1/2". Many of these are also the same body diameter as your 1.5 unit at 80mm. It may be that the 110 V versions of the 1.5 are built in the 80mm housings due to space needed for the 110v windings, where the higher voltage units may have more compact windings.

The advantage of a brushless spindle on the shark would be lower noise, and longevity (if it has good bearings).

I'm not sure even the most robust factory Sharks could push a 2.2kw (3 horse power) spindle to its limits without some serous flexing and lead nut wear going on. Personally, I would not run a half inch tool in a 3 hp spindle on a Shark without some serious reinforcement is several places, starting with the plastic mounts. IMHO, the 1.5 KW with .250 tools is a better match for the machine capabilities. The 1.5 would be great for long 3d carves that remove small amounts of material on each pass.

Hope your issues get resolved quickly.