Touch plate issues?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Oliver399

Re: Touch plate issues?

Post by Oliver399 »

Its a 1/2" 60 degree V bit. I verified the router isn't moving in the clamp. When the machine and control panel is shut completely down and restarted it works as it should for one job. Then it requires being shut completely down again.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Oliver399

""" I hit the 0,0,0 button again and it dropped to .08" above the wood.""" this is telling me you have lost the Z zero setting in the last cut. It could be because of your plunge rate, a dull bit, your router is unable to reach the lowest point in the art work, a lose coupling screw on the Z shaft. . If the Z stepper motor tries to move the bit down and there is to much resistance the machine will loose it place. It has no way to know it did not move down properly. I would take all bets that if you manual rest the machine to 0,0,0 after the first cut it would run the same as it did for the first cut, with out restarting the controller.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

Oliver399

Post by Oliver399 »

No, after resetting the z zero it would not carve until i shut the machine down. The machine and bit are brand new, not even a month old. Nextwave's tech support is pathetic at best thats why I turned to the forum. If I can't remedy this I will be returning it.

drcko

Post by drcko »

I too have had similar problems. Early this year, I contacted NWA regarding the bit diving into the project. Although no problems with carving for two years, all of a sudden, the dives were ruininbg all the projects, yet NWA suggested I update to v1.6 and the control box as well. Still dove. One project was getting done very nicely, but at 6 hours, the bit dove into the piece. NWA sent a printed list regarding all possible causes, but few applied to my experience. I also heard about wires crossed, touching, possible static... I changed everything, still dove. Changed the USB drive, USB cable, separated the wires, put a new memory card in the unit, no change.
Sent the unit in, NWA said the problem turned out to be a bad SB card, so they sent it back with a new one to replace the new one and I received it after the fees paid . Still dove. They thought it might be in the Z motor, its wiring, or connection to the box. Sent it in with the box. They couldn't get the problem to recur but said the touch plate fell apart, and sent the unit back with a new touch plate. Paid the fees, it still dove (This was twice, now, my shipping and return shipping along with the "repair charge"}.
All along (this started in March), I had mentioned that every time I used the touch plate to set 0, I would get a different reading, even when not running the program. Even with "air carving," I would get various readings for the Z.
My contact's supervisor inquired as to whether the router was loose (if it dove, wouldn't the router ascend? These have been very forceful dives), if I attached to magnet to the collet or the bit (???), what kind of bit...) Two years, no problems!
I sent the unit back in. They replaced the board ($180). I paid the fees.
I got it home and right out of the box, you guessed it!
Now they want me to send a "picture of the Z motor and the top of your gantry, and another where the X and Z motor cables go into the same loom."
This is a very condensed version of all that transpired over a period of 8 months, but the meat of the matter is there. It has gotten to the point that I am not able to trust the machine which is a shame. It worked very well for two years.

meb

Post by meb »

The control software may be your problem. My friend bought a new machine and I helped him set it up, download everything, install and register everything. the machine acted similar to what you are describing. The virtual zero would not work right and we shut the machine down and called Next Wave. Did not receive a return call. We reinstalled everything 2 times and it still did the same thing. I went home that night and copied the previous control panel build on a thumb drive. I took it with me in the morning and installed that build of the control panel and the machine has been working great ever since. I did send information to Next Wave and they siad they would let me know what they found. Still have not heard from them.

If you kept your update files try installing the last one you know worked.

Gs.spencer

Post by Gs.spencer »

I first starting using the touch plate over a year ago. The touch plate is a great invention but unfortunately fails miserably when using it with the virtual zero (V0) option.

I've spoken with NWA tech support several times and so far they can't provide a solution.

For example, I've run V0 where I may have a height Z axis difference of only 0.005" but then the new calculated G-code from V0 drives my bit 0.020" deeper than it should. The algorithms used to recalculate G-code for a slanted surface just doesn't work. V0 does work to a certain extent, but I can't afford to accept error rates of over 0.020" off.

I just replaced my table top with the new interlocking table and now my top is perfectly flat without the need to use V0. Once I stopped using the touch plate, my router bit depth problems went away.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I have only had my CNC Shark a short time but I have followed this procedure each time I have run projects ( 4 so far) and have had no problems with the virtual Zero. I am not using the dust boot at present but I am using hand held vac for dust collection. I am also using Control Panel Software 2.1 with Windows 10

After all is powered up these are the steps I have been following.

1.) Check to make sure touch plate thickness has not changed in "preferences".
2.) Detect touch plate on material of project. (in each case I had the touch plate on material and magnet on collet (touch plate ready) before selecting "detect touch plate" button)
**** note: just out of curiosity I did try this once without having the touch plate ready and got a very different results.
3) load the gcode file for the job (when requester comes up asking if I want to run virtual zero setup I say no to it)
4.) move gantry to y0, x0 of the job (most of mine are set to the center of job) and set the x0, y0 on the control panel.
5.) I then run the virutal zero setup. (moving touchplate and making sure the magnet stayed connected to collet throughout the setup procedure)
**** note: had gotten different results when not maintaining magnet to collet throughout procedure.
6.) Ready to run job!

I have worked in industrial Quality Inspection for 20 plus years (6 of those years was programming and running a CNC Inspection machine) that is why I am so meticulous. I also prepared myself while waiting for my CNC Shark by reading the forum, watching the tutorial videos, and experiencing the trial software (V-Carve Pro 8.0). After setting up my CNC Shark I wanted to just experiment a little before I actually started on my REAL projects just to see what I must do and what "not" to do.

Oh and btw I am looking for a bullet proof vest ---- those bits attached to that router/spindle are a humming!!!

Have a GREAT DAY Everyone!!! :D
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554