circle problem

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

groovy318

circle problem

Post by groovy318 »

I ran this twice and used the touch plate both times
as you can see one side of circle cuts deeper than the other.
any one have any ideas why. bit or router did not slip at all
I tried on back side of board and same thing
I ran it as- profile 1 file- and again as- outside circle only as in the crv file file
picture
picture
thanks Tom
Attachments
3.crv
crv
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 248 times

BillK

Re: circle problem

Post by BillK »

you used the touch plate but did you use the virtual zero program in control panel 2.0? The touch plate alone won't compensate for a non-flat piece of material.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

groovy318

Post by groovy318 »

yes I ran virtual set up and have 2.0

BillK

Post by BillK »

You could try using a conventional cut instead of the climb and add ramps.
I can see the issue on the outer circle and the next largest inner circle as well as some of the lines. Sometimes with climb cuts and V-bits you can get issues.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

groovy318

Post by groovy318 »

Thank you much for the information will give it a try tomorrow.
Tom

groovy318

Post by groovy318 »

changed cut to conventional cut came out the same

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If you have a digital caliper, measure the board to see if it is the same thickness all the way around.
If the board is flat, check your spoilboard for the same. If not using a spoil board measure carefully if the gantry backplate is the same height from the table on both left and right sides. Then check in the middle. If not even then do what you can do to make it even.

If you are clamping down on the t-track bed then are you clamping across sections? Across sections can deflect the sections and cause what are seeing. Best to clamp only inline with the t-track section. Clamp one side in line and the other across and you can easily reproduce the uneven depth cuts you are seeing.

On my own Shark and the one we have at work I've cut and planed HDPE strips to slide between the sections to keep them aligned down their lengths. It helps greatly, but can still be overcome when clamping across. This is the reason NextWave now ships Sharks using interlocking t-track sections.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I would have thought that Virtual Zero would have taken that problem out, although how big the touch plate is could average out a thin or thick area if it spans across too much area. I never have tried to level my bed or get into virtual zero although I am supposed to have that ability. I always put a dial indicator in my router chuck and check the area center and corners and place folded wooden shims to compensate then test again. Once I get it to within .005 of the center measurement or no more than .005 from one corner to any other corner then I cut. (2-4 minutes setup time) I have had good luck with all of my lettering and lines. The plaque below was, I believe, was 12" x 18". Actually the plaques was better than the photography in this case but you can see that the lines 18" apart are real close to the same width. As you approach .010" difference in depth you can see the difference without measuring.

Roger
Attachments
SH107683.JPG
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

groovy318

Post by groovy318 »

I have been going back and forth with next wave all week and still no luck.
I only happens with circles I did a file with circles and another shape in one file and used virtual zero only on the other shape did the Z change and on circle stayed the same depth all the way around the circle

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

What bit are you using? With the flex in the router mount I've seen bits, especially v-bits and downcut spiral bits push up as they move forward or the grain direction changes. Upcut spiral bits will pull down as they move forward and more or less depending on feed speed and grain density. If the deeper side is opposite the side that the bit starts then as the bit gets up to speed it may dig deeper or lift up before returning to starting depth as it slows down at the end. This would explain why it is noticeable on circles but not much on any shape with short vectors making it up.

I'd try breaking the circle into 4 segments, then running a profile ON the line in sequence. The bit will speed/slow each quarter of circle rather than once from start to finish and the results should be obviously different.

4D