Replacement Back Plate?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jimily

Re: Replacement Back Plate?

Post by jimily »

I've seen shots of the gantry plate installed, and a comment about 11 bolts but is there a topic of a step by step somewhere? I kind of get what is going to come off, but I am new to all of this. Being as green as spring grass anything would help as I would like to avoid any "YOU DID WHAT?!!" moments.... or even simply 'do this first, check this, do this...' I am good at following instructions. :) I should also mention I am a bit of a breaker, which means I have learned to know if something is supposed to come off before I snap it off in my hand and go "Oops." True story. Another reason for my signature line.

And I'll get some bolts too. So I don't really need to use Nylon nuts? Are the bolts on the gantry the same 2" 1/4-20 bolts? Any pictures of that annoying spot in the gantry arm?

Confidence is still high. In the meantime while I prepare I'll continue playing...ahem practicing with my new toy...uhm tool.

Thanks!
Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ok I went and counted all the obvious screws and here is the list. Someone say something if I am missing something hidden.

Top and bottom of gantry small screws holding aluminum top and bottom X8
Back of Gantry upper x4 Larger Phillips screws going through to obvious allen heads
Back of Gantry lower X3 Smaller Phillips connecting through to support bar in front
Back 4 corners (T27?) bolts

So is that all? Am I taking the router carriage off at any point? Do I need to crib something underneath the gantry while I do this? I had the thought to at least take the router out.

Getting closer,
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

jimily

Post by jimily »

Hurray UPS brought the Gantry Plate today just in time for the weekend. If I don't become befuddled by this process I will attempt to take before, during and after pictures along with dial caliper readings before and after.

I'll report back soon
Jim

"Hey watch this...."

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Just a quick thought. I waited till I disassembled the gantry and determined exactly wat screw,bolts to get and then bought what I needed. I found everything at a local store. I replaced most of those soft rounhead screws with standard hex-head bolts As for the bolts for the new plate I used hexheads for the 4 end screws and I used good quality allen-head for all the flathead screws that are counter sunk. Remember the aluminum plate is thinner than the OEM HDPE plate. Remember to take this into account.

Take your time and you will find this is not difficult. I think I mentioned I did have one of the she bolts for the plate that was jammed and it was a bear the remove it without damaging the vertical gantry support. I hope you don't run into a problem. As I recall it took over an hour on that one bolt. That particular bolt had been cross threaded in the nut during factory assembly. Just be patient if you run into a problem like this. This was only a problem because you can't use a wrench or socket on the recessed nut.

I'm writing this from phone. I hope my comment help. Have a great weekend.. Rod

jimily

Post by jimily »

Thanks Rod, I have contacted NWA for some heads up on the thread sizes etc of the bolts in question. I live about 1 1/2 from any hardware store and we have a baby, and I'm the work at home dad so hikes into town are a huge pain, anything that I can get dropped in my lap here is a bonus.

And I can't find my screw thread identifier or my tap set arrgh! Which is in reference to tapping the aluminum plate for the wire bundle clips because I am guessing that I am not reinstalling the top and bottom pieces that are on the plastic gantry back now onto the new aluminum one?

Heh is this where peeps install an l-bracket and change up to wire chain? 8-)

And I examined the captured nuts on the gantry leg/back and they all look normal from the outside. Hopefully they are. But gee man I hate Phillips head anything.

On hold at the moment....

Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Jim,

Sounds like fun! I'm a dinosaur and have been there! Including "Mr Dad" and long trips to the hardware store. I have also missed getting an item I didn't anticipate needing. That will ruin your day, if you let it. This part of Florida is more like inland south Georgia and it is 65 miles each way to decent hardware. We are from Pennsylvania. A whole different world. It is only in the last couple years now and we have some better stores.

I often just order hardware directly from McMaster-Carr on-line store. http://www.mcmaster.com/# The shipping beats the travel cost. The downside, sometimes you have to order more than you need. I Also find they carry good quality cast Acrylic sheet that I use for some of my projects. The also have HDPE if you are using it for anything.

You mentioned the clips that hold the cable bundle to the gantry cross plate. My original screws were sheet metal screws screwed in to the HDPE cross plate. I just drilled taped and replaced the screws with a couple 8-32 roundhead screws for the Aluminum. Tis is probably over kill. You can make it even simpler and use adhesive backed stick on cable tie holders and tie wraps. Just wipe off the Aluminum with some alcohol and they should stick well. These are very handy to have on hand too.

Have a great day!

..... Rod

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ooook I'll bite, how do you hold the 4 captured nuts to get them unscrewed?

I'm all set otherwise.

Thanks!
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Regarding the captured nyloc nuts!

I was able to just use a small flat blade screwdriver to jam the nut while backing the bolt out. However, as previously mentioned one of mine had been cross-threaded and jammed from the factory. I had to improvise! I found something to use as a spacer and clamped them to hold the nut from turning. I hope you don't run into this issue. I have not heard that anyone else has run into this problem. The HDPE is soft but fairly tough.

Have a nice day!

... Rod

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ok I got em. Needle nose pliers did the trick (I tried using the flat screwdriver before I asked and it was starting to chew the plastic, being a bruiser I thought to stop and ask doh!) Other than that initial hiccup it went so fast I didn't get many pictures.

In the box:
IMG_1319.JPG
The right before:
IMG_1322.JPG
3/8 of an inch thick, which is 1/8" thinner than the Plastic one of 1/2":
IMG_1320.JPG
And that's 3 attachments-I'll post the last 2 in the another reply.
brb
Last edited by jimily on Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

jimily

Post by jimily »

contd'
And after it was over:
IMG_1323.JPG
The same length screws did not protrude through the front, close but no:
IMG_1324.JPG
The screw sizes reported by NWA are as follows:
4- 1/4-20 1 1/4 T27 bolts
4- 2 1/2 Phillips Flat machine screw
3- 3mm M5-50 Phillips Flat ms

All in all it was way simpler than expected. I'm now going off to research wire chains.

Thanks for the help and heads up, thanks to NWA support as well,
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD