Replacement Back Plate?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jimily

Replacement Back Plate?

Post by jimily »

So I have seen whiffs of conversations about a "replacement back plate" when researching stiffening the Shark. However, when I search for it even the advanced search throws out that phrase "back plate" being too common and I can't seem to dig out any threads on it. So anyone have information on this topic or have one and can direct me to it please? I have the clamp already in place doing what it does well, if the back plate will be more helpful still then I will look into it.

Thanks!
Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

4DThinker

Re: Replacement Back Plate?

Post by 4DThinker »

The aluminum back plate is available from NextWave although it won't benefit anyone that has a Shark with free floating X axis bearing rails not attached to the plastic back. We have an HD 2.0 where I work and it's plastic back plate was deforming under the load of the router. The new aluminum back plate has taken care of that. Call NextWave directly and ask if they have one for your Shark model.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

There were several posts regarding this as a "gantry upgrade". This was originally posted for the "Black Diamond Series". The Black Diamond is a subset of the HD Pro. The replacement plate will fit all the newer HD Pro's. As previously stated in other posts above. This upgrade will not help if your machine is the older design. The new design has "C" Type linear bearings where the bars are bolted and supported by the Gantry support plate.

Here is a link to one of the strings of info. on the Gantry Upgrade. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ade#p25106

Have a great day!

.. Rod

gordread

Post by gordread »

I have confirmed with Next Wave that it will work with the HD1 as well. Mine is now on order. :)

jimily

Post by jimily »

Hmm, I will have to examine it closer. How do I tell exactly what model it is? (<--bearings on the rails?) It has the black table if that helps available in April 2014. I will keep researching too.

Thanks!
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ok, the bearings point down and look like C's on the Y and X rails. The X axis silver rail is supported all along the back like a shelf from underneath. It's a HD2 then? If so, super excellent.

I did miss getting to put it together originally buying it second hand but I am still having a blast with it anyway. I can't imagine it getting more amazing.

Thanks for the help!
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

gordread

Post by gordread »

If you purchased it new in 2014 then it is definitely newer than the HD1. I bought mine nearly 5 years ago and there have been 4 new versions (including 'special editions' since then, and they all use the same back plate.

Gordon

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ok good, I'll holler at NWA for the backplate.

Thanks for the direction and help!
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

jimily

Post by jimily »

Woot, Gantry Upgrade on the way. With the table leveling it'll almost be like I get to put it together the first time.

To which I have a question: The original owner stripped one of the screws on the side Gantry support when they put it together. Someone said they were replacing the screws when possible in one of the last 100 posts I read. With what kind of screws/nuts I wonder? Stainless or alloy or something like that?

Woohoo this is the most fun I've had in a little while!

Thanks,
Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I have replaced a lot of bolts on my machine. A lot of them were replaced during my initial installation. The bolts supplied with my new machine were very soft steel and I found strip easy and the heads round off easy. Even when using the correct fitting tool. I replaced mine with standard strength bolts most are std. hex-head coated bolts. NWA recommends mounting the gantry on the lowest position or the bottom bolts should be in the third hole from the bottom.

I installed a Dixie billet router mounting clamp on my machine. I ordered my mounting clamp with counter sunk holes and used flat-head bolts as replacements. This allows the Dewalt 618 router to mount square to the clamp instead of on top of the rounded bolt heads.

I should mention I had and annoying problem when replacing the gantry cross support plate. One of the bolts that has a nut captured in the vertical gantry arm was very difficult to remove. It apparently been stripped and forced during factory installation. I was delighted to finally get it removed. I hope you don't find any issues like that.

... Rod