How to ground router

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GrandpaB

How to ground router

Post by GrandpaB »

On occasion my shark runs amuck. It seems to loose its mind and randomly routes until I hit the emergency off button or it blows a fuse. i have had problems with static discharge in the dust collection system; it had similar symptoms. It was solved by running a bare copper wire through the poly tube and grounding it a wall outlet. Today i noticed that my router has a two wire plug; it's probably double insulated. I'll try grounding the router body. Is there a good place to get a ground on the Shark HD?

bill z

Re: How to ground router

Post by bill z »

To ground your router, use a very flexible multi strand copper speaker wire and connect it to a housing screw on the router where the screw fastens to the metal router housing. Route the wire loosely through the CNC cabling that goes to the controller. Connect the loose end to the controller.

When the controller experiences static, it is what messes with the motors.

To make sure any outside voltage fluctuations are not causing the problem, You might plug your controller into a battery UPS system, Something like a 12Amp should work.

GrandpaB

Post by GrandpaB »

Thanks for the suggestions. The router is now grounded and behaving very well.

bill z

Post by bill z »

A lot of static can build up with dust traveling inside the vacuum hose. That is why many hoses have a copper wire for the coil. For projects with long run rates, this can build up to be substantial.

Be sure to ground your vacuum flex line, to be safe.