Wasted Carving Movement

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

davemartin88

Wasted Carving Movement

Post by davemartin88 »

I had posted this on the Vectric Forum but it was suggested I might have better success here with this question specific to my Shark. I have a lithograph carving that I created the tap file using Photocarve. I'm using a 1/16" ball nose bit on a 6" wide x 4" wide photo, here's the setup & material size options.

Image Image

When cutting, after each diagonal line is finished carving, the bit lifts up from the material, presumably to the rapid clearance gap, then moves to the opposite end of the line, then moves back to the opposite end and starts cutting the next diagonal line. The bit is cutting the full depth in one pass but the carving is taking a ridiculously long time moving back and forth before beginning each actual cut.

There aren't that many options in Photocarve to change so not sure why this is happening and hasn't happened before when I've cut other lithos.

Using the CNC Shark (inches) post processor. Here's the first few lines of the tap file, don't see anything that looks like recurring commands to cause the added movements but don't really understand Gcode.

Maybe it's from the control program for the Shark when the feed rate is set before each line? I have recently upgraded to the 2.1 version of the Shark Controller. Don't want to start over since I'm an 2 hours in but may try to load the same file in the 2.0 version later and do an air cut to see if it acts the same.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

meb

Re: Wasted Carving Movement

Post by meb »

Make sure you are using the correct post processor for Photo VCarve it is listed on Next Wave site as for Photo VCarve only.

http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... SB_inch.pp

davemartin88

Re: Wasted Carving Movement

Post by davemartin88 »

meb wrote:Make sure you are using the correct post processor for Photo VCarve it is listed on Next Wave site as for Photo VCarve only.

http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... SB_inch.pp
That's the one I'm using. Thanks.