Need help with some things...

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Doghouse

Need help with some things...

Post by Doghouse »

First problem is that wen I am making pan cuts with a ball mill, the z seems to go all over the place. I did the "Avalon" project and the dished area looked like a topographical map.

Secondly, anyone know where the table is for the Rockler cnc bit set?

Trying to work my way through the tutorials so I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks
John

Bob

Re: Need help with some things...

Post by Bob »

John,
Would you please post a picture of the problem carve?
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Sounds like you didn't have the bit tight in the collet.

Doghouse

Post by Doghouse »

This is the result of the carving.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Here is the carving file
The Szareks.crv
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 352 times
I could understand if the change was a gradual increase, but it is not. It seems to go up and down depending on if it is tracing the letter or doing straight lines.

I know the small ridges are due to the 21% stepover.
I found the same problem when making a cutting board with a blood groove and pooling area. the groove and pool were set to the same depth and with the same bit. the groove was done first clockwise inside then counterclockwise outside. it then pocket cut the pool. The grooves were the same, but the pool area was a different depth. I had to give the gift so I planed off that layer and did a different design so I cannot send pictures of that.

meb

Post by meb »

I would be using a 1-8" end mill instead of a ball nose bit for the pocket because you are not doing 3d machining and the ball nose bit will require more cleanup. You would also save a lot of time and cleanup if you would use a "Larger Area Clearance Tool" in you pocket toolpath. A 1/4" end mill would reduce the time about 35 minutes and if you could use a 3/8" or 1/2" bit depending on the capacity of your router it would save even more time and cleanup.

Why are you using a ball nose bit for your cutout toolpath?

Doghouse

Post by Doghouse »

Meb - because I did not know better. I am just working through the tutorials and making mistakes along the way.
Needless to say it takes a bit to learn how to do this stuff w/o a cnc background. The tutorials are excellent and I am only on the Importing Flower model.
I also learned that the depth of things are a hell of a lot bigger than you think.

BobA

Post by BobA »

Doghouse,
I recommend the following
Attachments
The Szareks.crv3d
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 336 times

Doghouse

Post by Doghouse »

Thanks, will take a look at the shop.

Still main question is why the z is all over the place.

I just finished doing this - (instead of the magnolia) and the z stayed fine for it. Its in old growth pine with cherry and green aniline dye.
rose.jpg

jimily

Post by jimily »

Doesn't this look like a lost x step instead due to ________? (ie static discharge, or some other electrical blip that makes the motors drop steps) The gouge following the round toolpaths in the upper area matches the deformity in the letter 'e' on the left hand side of the e. I mean to say the cutting paths are shifted to the left in later passes. And you can see it a few passes down in the letters too that show a paper thin shelf below a certain point. A loose thing would be all over the place affecting many if not all cutting paths and edges I think.

The 1/8 roundover is making it look worse so a bunch will improve all around by using a bigger hog out tool to reduce time and an end mill instead for finishing. And a vbit for finishing will give the ability to have crisper inside edges like on the Z and the arms of the k for sure.

The flower looks real good though. If you have re-run the name sign with different bits did it come out better or did the gouging happen again?

Stuff to munch on but it's some fun though!
Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

Bob

Post by Bob »

DH,
A member in our group was experiencing a similar problem. The solution that worked for him was to switch from an offset to a raster toolpath:
szareks.JPG
I don't know why it worked...but it did.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)