Diamond drag engraving

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

terryz854

Diamond drag engraving

Post by terryz854 »

So built up enough nerve to try out my diamond drag bit. It engraved pretty good on the 26mm brass plate but scraped lines between engravings. Anyone know which setting I need to adjust to get rid of the lines it leaves? Thanks.
Attachments
TLZ Woodworking 3x2 26 Gauge Brass Plate.crv
File used to etch brass
(426 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

terryz854

Re: Diamond drag engraving

Post by terryz854 »

OK, almost have it figured out. I originally told the CNC to raise the bit a quarter of an inch when moving from one engraving to another. Problem is, once the spring pushes the bit out, it's about three quarters of an inch. Hence, it's still making contact with the metal surface. Now, I have to figure out how to adjust the downward pressure because when it's dragging it's leaving like a shadow just above the engraved letters.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

I was about ready to buy the diamond drag bit which is not very cheap. but can not find info on how too use it, or where I can get the brass from. any information would be helpful. Thanks

terryz854

Post by terryz854 »

I'm still learning how to use my diamond drag bit. It's called a drag because you don't turn on the router. it just drags across the metal engraving. I haven't quite figured out the pressure yet because it still leaves shadow of the engraving on the metal. Live and learn.

SamPris

Post by SamPris »

Check your toolpath and tap file I ran your file and my tap file lifts to the home z height prior to engraving next see attached.. check the setting on your diamond drag bit... example if it is spring loaded the end retracts .75 set your z to.85 so its elevated.
Attachments
Quick Engrave 1.tap
(89.59 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

terryz854

Post by terryz854 »

I'll give it a try, thanks.

SamPris

Post by SamPris »

gpeck wrote:I was about ready to buy the diamond drag bit which is not very cheap. but can not find info on how too use it, or where I can get the brass from. any information would be helpful. Thanks
Depending where you live you can find what your looking by doing a search... Local hobby stores have a variation depending on your needs ex Hobby Lobby, Joann's Michaels

https://www.google.com/search?q=brass+p ... eet+supply

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

Thanks , will look into it...