question about startup proceedures

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lawrence

question about startup proceedures

Post by lawrence »

I am having some trouble getting my shark controller to communicate with my laptop- I have been able to get it to work- eventually- each time but it is frustrating that it is very hit or miss... could someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong?

My machine stays plugged in
I turn the red button to add power to the controller
I wait 30 seconds or so then plug the usb into my computer
I get the "connected" sound from my computer (running win 10) and the lights on my controller are lit up (2 outside lights stay solid, middle light is blinking)
Sometimes, when I try to open the shark control panel, it lets me... sometimes it doesn't
I try various combinations of plugging in the usb again, turning on and off the controller etc. and eventually I am able to get it to connect, but often not until after 5 mins +

I would very much appreciate any advice!

Thanks again for all the help this forum provides
Lawrence

bill z

Re: question about startup proceedures

Post by bill z »

I run Win 7 and don’t know about if 10 works the same.

I leave my USB plugged in to the USB port ALL of the time.

I only turn on the controller just before I start the controller software and only after the lights on the controller indicates it is ready.

It should NOT make a difference but the controller is a USB-2 and doesn’t need to be plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

gordread

Post by gordread »

bill z wrote:I run Win 7 and don’t know about if 10 works the same.

I leave my USB plugged in to the USB port ALL of the time.

I only turn on the controller just before I start the controller software and only after the lights on the controller indicates it is ready.

It should NOT make a difference but the controller is a USB-2 and doesn’t need to be plugged into a USB 3.0 port.
My process to the letter. Even same configuration.

AElle

Post by AElle »

I have the same exact problem. I have to wrestle with different combinations of plugging in the USB, turning on the controller, etc. to get it to work. What works one time might not work the next. Today I cant even get it to work at all. The laptop will make the USB "plugged in" sound and then the "unplugged" sound over and over again without my even touching it. I have no problem plugging any other USB devices into the laptop ports and getting them to work reliably. I have tried different USB ports for the controller and I am having the same problem of lack of reliable communiation. This has been quite frustrating.

bill z

Post by bill z »

These things can be quite frustrating.

Because the laptop is making the USB "plugged in" sound and then the "unplugged" sound over and over again, makes me think it just may be your USB cable. See, the computer only knows that something is connected because of the current draw and resultant ID signal. If the cable has really small wires in it, they may not pass the needed voltage signal without dropping some. So the computer gets confused.

Worth a try to get a shielded heaver USB cable if you have not already tried swapping.

Try and let us know.