NEWBIE - NEED HELP

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BWest

NEWBIE - NEED HELP

Post by BWest »

I'm new to using any kind of power tool and I made a BIG mistake on Saturday. I forgot to turn on the router prior to running a file. Now the router/carriage won't run a program. It just goes straight down. I tried to run the sample file (1 in square) that comes with the Shark, which I was previously able to do, but it won't do that now either. Router just heads straight down. Did I break the CNC? I have a call into Next Wave Automation, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

basecircle

Re: NEWBIE - NEED HELP

Post by basecircle »

Hi west Let's see if I can help you.First you said you ran the 1" sq.With no problems correct?Then you loaded a new program in and z Axis just plunges down into part? Now the things I'am going to tell you are common, (1) when you load the program check if your running in or mm .Thats in the setup.Also look at what post processor you are running.When setting up be sure to pick up Z very important.Are you using a touch plate? and vitual program?If so we will go over that later.Now during the crash Did it bend the router upward?Ok just using z only move it up and down.Is it smooth? Check your set scrs.holding the coupling.Try this stuff first.If I can help you more.P M me or post.Basecircle

BWest

Post by BWest »

Hi Basecircle,
Thanks for your reply! I talked to New Wave technician and all is well. He told me he's 99% sure I didn't harm my CNC. He explained a few steps to take when zeroing out with the touch plate, which I have. I went out and tried what he said and all is working again....thankfully! I put a note on it now to remind me to zero out and TURN ON THE ROUTER. ;-) Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Good for you."Your welcome" Basecircle

Rando

Post by Rando »

basecircle wrote:Hi west Let's see if I can help you.First you said you ran the 1" sq.With no problems correct?Then you loaded a new program in and z Axis just plunges down into part? Now the things I'am going to tell you are common, (1) when you load the program check if your running in or mm .Thats in the setup.Also look at what post processor you are running.When setting up be sure to pick up Z very important.Are you using a touch plate? and vitual program?If so we will go over that later.Now during the crash Did it bend the router upward?Ok just using z only move it up and down.Is it smooth? Check your set scrs.holding the coupling.Try this stuff first.If I can help you more.P M me or post.Basecircle

What basecircle said! I've had horrible things happen when the units were mis-matched. A 5mm safe-height became a 5 INCH safeheight. As soon as I started the run, it went to the top, did the horrible-sounding crash noise, and then immediately plunged the bit straight down and through a 3/8" plate of aluminum, did the horrible sound again, and then started doing huge horizontal movements. Of course, the now-broken 1/8" endmill was hopelessly lodged in the aluminum, ruining the stock as well. :(.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)