Over Heating

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Re: Over Heating

Post by Bob »

Thank you for the information Bob.
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Bob

Your most welcome let me know how it works for you if you use it.

Bob

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

Are any of you already using the water cooled spindle?

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Yup! Water-cooled spindle used with Shark HD3 Pro Extended bed.

Got a Question to ask about it???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

sharkcutup wrote:
Yup! Water-cooled spindle used with Shark HD3 Pro Extended bed.

Got a Question to ask about it???

Sharkcutup

Yes Sir!
My question is whether or not the water cooled spindle is overheating as well, or is it limited to routers?
Thanks!

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

My question is whether or not the water cooled spindle is overheating as well, or is it limited to routers?
The main Difference between Routers and the Water-Cooled spindle is the bearings within each unit respectively. Hand held routers were not initially designed for extremely long duration running. Their purpose was strictly for hand held or table mounted use. The Bearings along with the brushes in hand-held routers wear out a lot faster than water-cooled spindles. Some individuals have even taken the extra precaution even on water-cooled spindle units by adding anti-freeze to the water or putting the water in a cooler with ice or in a small refrigerated unit.

The Concern of the original post of this thread has to do with the control box and the stepper motors overheating during extensive long CNC operations. Some individuals in warmer climates do not have the luxury to have an air-conditioned workshop.

As I have said in my initial post I use the water-cooled spindle - yes - but I will add in a temperature controlled room. I have not experienced any signs of overheating. My concern is with the control box for it does not have any fan in it for cooling so during very hot summer days I add a fan blowing on it to keep it cool. As for the stepper motors they seem to be doing just fine, thus far!

Hope this Helps answer your question!

Have a Nice Day!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

sharkcutup wrote:
The main Difference between Routers and the Water-Cooled spindle is the bearings within each unit respectively. Hand held routers were not initially designed for extremely long duration running. Their purpose was strictly for hand held or table mounted use. The Bearings along with the brushes in hand-held routers wear out a lot faster than water-cooled spindles. Some individuals have even taken the extra precaution even on water-cooled spindle units by adding anti-freeze to the water or putting the water in a cooler with ice or in a small refrigerated unit.

The Concern of the original post of this thread has to do with the control box and the stepper motors overheating during extensive long CNC operations. Some individuals in warmer climates do not have the luxury to have an air-conditioned workshop.

As I have said in my initial post I use the water-cooled spindle - yes - but I will add in a temperature controlled room. I have not experienced any signs of overheating. My concern is with the control box for it does not have any fan in it for cooling so during very hot summer days I add a fan blowing on it to keep it cool. As for the stepper motors they seem to be doing just fine, thus far!

Hope this Helps answer your question!

Have a Nice Day!!! :D

It does. Thanks for the clarification.

MD

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

There is only one other downside to the water-cooled spindle and that is it can only accept collets for 1/8" and 1/4" diameter router bits. Of course I have not needed to use any diameter larger yet but if needed I have another hand held router that accepts larger bits so I could mount it to my cnc.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554