Lexan and/or Stainless deburring

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LynkSpyder

Lexan and/or Stainless deburring

Post by LynkSpyder »

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I violate a couple rules. I'm the owner of a small business possibly getting ready to pull the trigger on an HD4 extended. We will soon be releasing a new product that contains some 1/4" Lexan components. My hope is to machine these components on this device. That in and of itself will be enough justification for the device. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on the machinability of Lexan using a CNC Shark device? We will most likely be using the water cooled spindle (mostly for noise reduction).

Additionally, I would like to take advantage of the device for automated deburing of our primary parts. These parts are laser cut 14 gauge stainless steel. The laser leaves a razor sharp edge on the backside of all edges. We manually debur these using a bench grinder with a flapper wheel mounted; which is a timely and ugly process. My hope is to make a multi part fixture out of nylon or delrin (possibly even wood) to mount the plates inverted. I would then use a program to place a slight chamfer on the stainless with a 90 degree bit. Not a lot of material will be removed as we just need to knock off the edge so that it isn't sharp. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I crazy...perhaps maybe that is not relevant. :-)

Thanks,

Josh Greer
LynkSpyder

Kevink18

Re: Lexan and/or Stainless deburring

Post by Kevink18 »

I do a lot of machining and I use a debur tool. here is a link to the one I use. It is very quick and works really well.
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/0 ... d=9Hx7jYcP

LynkSpyder

Post by LynkSpyder »

Kevink18 wrote:I do a lot of machining and I use a debur tool. here is a link to the one I use. It is very quick and works really well.
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/0 ... d=9Hx7jYcP
Not good use for stainless sheet, and can't handle the volume we run. Really want to automate the process. Hoping to run about 10 parts at a time, monitoring it, but doing other things while it runs. We have committed ourselves to not ship our product off shore. We fabricate and assemble in house. But we have to find ways to add automate the deburing process in order to keep up.

LynkSpyder

Post by LynkSpyder »

FYI, I spoke with Next Wave Automation support on the phone this morning. The guy I spoke to said we should not have any problems machine lexan or deburing stainless. If anyone has any information support the contrary, or to support that claim, it would be greatly appreciated.