virtual zero

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Barry Anderson

virtual zero

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have had my machine for about a 1 1/2 years. Just started trying to use virtual zero in an effort to save the spoil board. I am using Vectric Vcarve 8.5. Last night I edited a toolpath to allow for virtual zero. It ran fine. Tonight, I tried to do the same for another toolpath. I have the spindle at 0, lower left corner. When I hit the button to figure virtual zero, the router goes to the upper right corner and the stepper motor keeps running, trying to move the spindle. I have to hit the e-stop to get it to stop. I tried it with 2 different files, 2 computers, and 2 Sharks. Same thing every time. I am at a loss. I hope someone smarter than me can offer some help.

Thanks in advance.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Bob

Re: virtual zero

Post by Bob »

Barry,
I don't know if I'm understanding your problem.
First, Why are you editing a program to use virtual zero? What do you do to edit the program? I use virtual zero with any programs. I don't do any editing. I follow the on-screen prompts when setting up the virtual zero for running my programs.
...Or, I''m just not understanding...
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

What I mean is setting the zero to the bottom of the material, top of the spoil board. I am cutting letters and designs out of plywood and want it to cut all the way through. The plywood is not always consistent in thickness, resulting in the spoil board getting cut. By setting the z at the material bottom, it should figure the thickness from the spoil board up, thus negating any differences in the thickness. I am trying to run virtual zero on the spoil board. I did this for the first time on Monday night with no problem. Last night it did not work the same. I have used virtual zero on several wall hangings I carved letters into with good results. Thank you for your reply and desire to help.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have virtual zero running correctly on most files. Yesterday I had the same problem as mentioned in my original post. Did the file over and had the same result. Does anyone with NWA or another user have any suggestions?

I have attached the file I am working with. I have an order for coasters and want to cut the letters .025 deep using a .125 end mill for clearance, then a 90* v bit to finish. Then use a second program to cut the coasters out.

Thanks for any and all help.

Barry Anderson
Attachments
coasterorder.crv
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 385 times
Barry Anderson

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

Barry Anderson wrote:...... When I hit the button to figure virtual zero, the router goes to the upper right corner and the stepper motor keeps running, trying to move the spindle. I have to hit the e-stop to get it to stop.........
Barry Anderson
yes, I have had it do this before. Don't read too much into it. It's a not so obvious bug somewhere. A reboot of the controller and software seems to fix it for me. I've maybe seen it twice in 2 years.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I realize that it is probably a bug, but don't understand why it works some times and sometimes not. I have turned everything off and restarted it. It still does not work on this file. It has failed to function properly on the file I am working on, I load another file, and it works, without turning the controller off and rebooting.

barry
Barry Anderson