VCarve help

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MDHunt

Re: VCarve help

Post by MDHunt »

Kayvon wrote:
The file being loaded was written by the Trial Version of the software on a different computer.
To prevent abuse of the trial version, the full version will only load files from the trial version that were written on the same computer.
Bummer.

Can you try previewing only the v-carve without the other paths? And maybe take a screenshot of the v-carve toolpath options while the 2d view is open?
Kayvon,
I finally have the correct software and can give you a couple of pics of what I have worked up. The file is too large to add as an attachment. I still haven't set up my machine as I am going to build a solid workbench for it and clear out some space in my workshop.
Let me know if you can't open it.
Thanks,
MD
p.s. I am trying to find a way to smooth out the contour lines that were left by the Tapered Ball Tip bit as well as get rid of what seem to be the raised edges of my piece. Any hints?
Close up 1.bmp
Close up 1.bmp
Attachments
angle view with edges.bmp

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

That's a definite improvement--much easier to read.

Have you considered carving the text into the material, rather than carving the material around the text? That would make the text indented rather than standing out, so maybe it's not the look you're going for. If the look isn't crucial, I think indented text lends a sharper look.

If you want the look you have now, but without the contour lines, you can finish it with a pocket operation using an end mill bit. You can also speed up the text portion of the operation by bounding it withing a vector that surrounds some margin just around the text, since creating the contour lines with that bit will be very slow.

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

Kayvon wrote:That's a definite improvement--much easier to read.

Have you considered carving the text into the material, rather than carving the material around the text? That would make the text indented rather than standing out, so maybe it's not the look you're going for. If the look isn't crucial, I think indented text lends a sharper look.

If you want the look you have now, but without the contour lines, you can finish it with a pocket operation using an end mill bit. You can also speed up the text portion of the operation by bounding it withing a vector that surrounds some margin just around the text, since creating the contour lines with that bit will be very slow.

I did try to pocket it with a .0125 end mill bit, but it created holes in the middle of the text.
excellent, thanks for the advice. I'll mess with it a bit more and see what I can come up with.
Thanks!
MD

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

If you're using the same text vectors, it makes sense that the 0.125 bit will try to level out wherever it can fit between the letters. The bit will be unaware of the angle left by your V bit. There's a way around this, though, and it's not too bad.

First, you need to select your text and convert it to vectors.
Second, use the "expand vectors" (or possibly the create vector boundary) tool to create a new vector with some margin between the text and the area you want leveled. The amount of margin should be equal to the horizontal distance of the slope created by the V bit. You can determine this with math (yay!) or more simply with a couple rounds of trial-and-error to see what looks good.
Third, have your end mill create a pocket using the new vector, which should keep it away from the actual text.