VCarve help

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MDHunt

VCarve help

Post by MDHunt »

Hi, I am working on a design that I want to cut from a piece of aluminum. I am working on it in the free trial download version of VCarve Pro.

I am running three separate bits during the simulated cutting, but can't seem to clean up the lettering.

Can anyone offer help?
Thanks,
MD
Lettering Issue.bmp

Kayvon

Re: VCarve help

Post by Kayvon »

Which bits? What size are the letters? How deep?

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

Kayvon, these are my parameters (all measurements are in inches)
Material: Aluminum plate
Thickness: .19
Job size: x3.5 y11.5
Font :Lucida Bright
Text height: .224

First bit: Ball Nose 0.0625 inches (pocket)
Feed: 25.0 in/min
plunge: 15.0 in/min
spindle: 12000
max depth: 0.1 in

second bit: V-Bit 60 deg 0.25 inches (lettering)
feed: 100 in/min
plunge: 30 in/min
spindle: 16000
max depth: 0.1 in

third bit: end mill (pocket)
feed: 50.0 in/min
plunge: 20 in/min
spindle: 12000
max depth: 0.14 in

I have found that if I change any parameter at all such as font, or move anything, that I have to recalculate each individual toolpath. I am still in the trial edition of the software and am simply trying to learn the basics before I get my machine.

Thanks
MD

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

MDHunt,

What FONT are you using and its SIZE???

BTW, There is a button and menu item called 'recalculate all tool paths' you can use instead of going in and doing each individual tool path!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

MDHunt wrote:I have found that if I change any parameter at all such as font, or move anything, that I have to recalculate each individual toolpath.
You'd expect that to be the case, right? Any changes that would affect the toolpath will require the toolpath to be recomputed. Fortunately, VCarve has a single button that will automatically recompute all paths. It's fairly convenient.

You didn't mention the font height, but with the board dimensions I think I can guess at what's happening. It looks like the lettering is bleeding together and the bit is overrunning the lettering. Those are tiny letters, so it's extra-important to stay within the lines with your v-bit.

I believe the trial version has the ability to save the project file you're using, right? If so, why don't you post your project file and I'll look at it directly. That'll make it much easier to explain how to fix the issue you're seeing.

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

I put it at the top, but it is Lucida Bright and text size of .224 inches.

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

Kayvon wrote:
MDHunt wrote:I have found that if I change any parameter at all such as font, or move anything, that I have to recalculate each individual toolpath.
You'd expect that to be the case, right? Any changes that would affect the toolpath will require the toolpath to be recomputed. Fortunately, VCarve has a single button that will automatically recompute all paths. It's fairly convenient.

You didn't mention the font height, but with the board dimensions I think I can guess at what's happening. It looks like the lettering is bleeding together and the bit is overrunning the lettering. Those are tiny letters, so it's extra-important to stay within the lines with your v-bit.

I believe the trial version has the ability to save the project file you're using, right? If so, why don't you post your project file and I'll look at it directly. That'll make it much easier to explain how to fix the issue you're seeing.

Kayvon, here is the file.
Thanks,
MD
Cross_placard 7.zip
(8.86 MiB) Downloaded 363 times

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The file being loaded was written by the Trial Version of the software on a different computer.
To prevent abuse of the trial version, the full version will only load files from the trial version that were written on the same computer.
Bummer.

Can you try previewing only the v-carve without the other paths? And maybe take a screenshot of the v-carve toolpath options while the 2d view is open?

MDHunt

Post by MDHunt »

I'll give it a shot and see what I can do.

Thanks

Rando

Post by Rando »

Not seeing much more, I'd say it looks like maybe one of the bits has an incorrect diameter. Either that, or the bit is accurate and (as others have mentioned) it's just too big for the task. Below are some thoughts.

If the font height is 0.224 (let's call it 1/4"), that means the "x-height", or where the top of lower-case x's sits, is only 1/8". Although you're using a 1/16" bit, maybe that really is too small for the font?

Any chance you have another way to view the file? Something like the CNCCookbook's GCode editor? That kind of tool will show the cutting path without attempting to show what the cut it like. You can use that (or other similar) to sanity-check if the cutting paths make sense. If that all looks fine, then it's on to checking the font.

There are some TrueType fonts in Windows that don't have "printer hints", which can sometimes interfere with font rendering in non-mainstream software. I sometimes have issues with fonts in a drawing package I use, even though Word claims it's just fine. Either way, as a test, give it a try with a solid standards-compliant font with a medium stroke width. Something like Arial. Obviously if things improve, then there's potentially a font-file problem, and so the solution would be to choose a similarly-styled but compatible font.

Hope that helps,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)