In v carve cutting a mantel

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gpeck

In v carve cutting a mantel

Post by gpeck »

I designed a mantel that is 36x10 from 3d design and make western hack. How can I cut it out on my black diamond 24x24 table useing v carve 8.5.? I tried the tiling mode, but it will not work.Is there a way to turn the XandY axes in v carve 8,5 to cut 3d, so that the starting point is on the lower left on the Y axes ? The 3d tiling tutorials shows how in the X axes . In design and make getting started vidoes they show a wilderness hack 6 foot by 10" mantel useing v carve 8.5, but they do not show how it was cut out. Thanks for any info. gene

Kayvon

Re: In v carve cutting a mantel

Post by Kayvon »

This is suspiciously similar to the thread you started yesterday: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5384
It's a little easier to get help if you keep the conversation in one place, but I think we can juggle both threads.
gpeck wrote:I tried the tiling mode, but it will not work.
Can you elaborate on this? In what way are the tiling paths giving you trouble?
gpeck wrote:Is there a way to turn the XandY axes in v carve 8,5 to cut 3d, so that the starting point is on the lower left on the Y axes ?
Go to job setup, select a button under "XY Datum Position". Turns out you can even specify an offset if that's the sort of thing that will help, so you're not even limited to the 5 precomputed points.
gpeck wrote:The 3d tiling tutorials shows how in the X axes
The Toolpath Tiling Manager allows you to change this. There's an option for "feed-through in X" or "in Y".
gpeck wrote:they do not show how it was cut out
In the other thread you created, Bob has posted a Word doc with specific instruction. The gist is that you need an alignment point between the two.

After you try these suggestions, it will help if you explain what did and didn't work for you. If you're getting the same answers every time, it's not that people are trying to annoy you, it's that these are the answers that work for us. Help us understand where you get stuck and we can give more details on those parts.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

Thanks for your help. Bare with me , I am on some medication for back pain and sometimes get confused. I finely got the mantel turned 90 degrees ,but
had trouble aligning after zooming in too make it smaller so that it would fit in the Y position. I am having trouble aligning all the hacks in the job and then aligning them all within the board that it will be cut out on. I hope I explained it better. Al so a way to zoom in on one spot on the project and make it bigger?
When I click on it the whole project gets bigger. Thanks for any help.gene

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

One strategy is to create alignment holes on your workpiece, but outside of the final design itself. For instance, create a hole just beside the sign at on the seams of your tiles and use those holes to line up the beginning of the next tile. The Word doc I referenced has more detail on this.

While I don't need to know your full situation, I sympathize with your back pain. That's no good. Please, please be careful around the power tools while you're on medication. It's well worth taking extra time to avoid accidents.