Shark HD3 Long Bed

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tk2015

Shark HD3 Long Bed

Post by tk2015 »

Hi, I have a Shark HD3 long bed & lately the X axis on a long file cuts looses its zero by 1.125 inches always moving toward the X zero area. Since the X axis does most of the work, (most of the movement,) is it possible the stepper motor might have an issue?? The g-code is good, I have the latest update to the Next Wave controller & the right firm ware. (2083 & V2.1 Build 25F) Short cuts of up to 35 minutes seem OK but with a run of 6 hours, 2 hours or more into it, I get the lost X axis problem.

Any ideas??

sharkcutup

Re: Shark HD3 Long Bed

Post by sharkcutup »

Wow that is a Lot of steps lost!!

Is the coupler and spider shaft (Spiral Threaded looking shaft) at the stepper motor tight???

Also if the X-axis movement goes all the way over and just bumps the max either at the -x or +x sides anytime during the entire g-code file cutting process it could loose steps a little each and every time this bumping action occurs. In fact, if the previously mentioned bumping action occurs on any axis (x, y, or z) you can loose steps. On long programs I am probably sure that you do not sit and monitor the entire process so this could very well be happening. It is important to make sure that your project always is made several steps inside the max cutting area otherwise you could loose steps. Unfortunately Next Wave Automation did not incorporate limit switches or any type of measure on the axis to keep this bumping action from happening.

Just a couple of things that come to mind!!!

Good Luck in Solving your mystery problem!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

tk2015

Post by tk2015 »

The X Axis is tight, the "zero" is far enough away from the end so it does not "bottom out" All cables are clear where they do not pose a binding factor. This happened with x = 0 in different spots along the X axis so I see no binding in the X travel. Again, it is a mystery. I will try swapping X & y at the controller & see if it follows. If it does, it might be the original X stepper motor. But that is only a guess.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I don't believe you understand what I am trying to tell you. If at anytime during a program run any axis x, y, or z reaches and bumps its extreme limit it will loose steps on that axis. So as I said in earlier post it is important to stay a bit inside that. For instance I have the extended bed and they say I can cut 25" wide by 50" I always stay at 24" by 49" thereby avoiding the bumping lost steps at the axis extremes! Those lost steps may not show on small duration projects but with long projects if the lost steps keep continuing it will definitely be noticeably pronounced as the project progresses.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

Or, you could also run my GCodeShim program on the toolpath, with even with no changes, and it will tell you the exact extents of your toolpath in every axis referenced in that GCODE.... :P

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

tk2015

Post by tk2015 »

I was very much not even close to the end of travel on any axis when this happened... I had room to spare when I set my zero and it went beyond my zero 1.125 inches and even with that, it was not even close to the travel limit on that end of the X axis.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Well then losing steps on any axis due to extreme bumping is ruled out!
Okay then, you might want to install and run Randos (Thom)
Program if you know anything about the g-code you may find and solve your problem.
I will continue to monitor/brainstorm this thread and should I think of something I will post.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554