Odd / Error messages

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RobertD

Odd / Error messages

Post by RobertD »

Evening All

Has anyone been getting random messages like "can't detect the touch pad" even well after the touch pad has been used successfully? As well I get the popup that allows you to select the file for the next toolpath to run. I cancel them out and all seems fine just annoying at present. Lastly the times as estimated by Aspire and as displayed by the control panel are hugely different for example 1:20:00 finishing path becomes 8 hours. I'm at a loss.

Bob

Rando

Re: Odd / Error messages

Post by Rando »

Bob:

Typically that means that when the "detect" command is issued, the plate is already shorted to the bit, at least electrically. Were there any wiring changes made recently? Does it still do that when you hold the plate off the bed, or put a sheet of paper under it?

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Thom

No changes to anything, including the wiring.....My working is MDF so I don't think its shorted. The thing is it pops up in the middle of loading the tool path. Beats the heck out of me, as the machine seems to function just fine after I cancel it out..

Thanks for the reply, I may send a query to Next Wave I guess.

Bob

Rando

Post by Rando »

That sounds definitely unwanted....

It's instructive that dismissing the dialog allows it to complete.

If I had to guess, I'd say that there's something amiss in the post-processor, and it has issued a "G28 Z". Well, that's the only reference I can find to touch-off inside a GCode file. It's normal to do a z-axis home on a 3D printer, since they have home-switches on the axes. But, not so much on a CNC. If you can, go ahead and post the GCode file, and we can take a look and see if there's something weird.

Other than that, try removing the controller's micro-SD card, if any, and reformatting that on a PC. If that doesn't solve it, then it's into uninstalling and reinstalling the control panel and drivers, but that's getting into the swamp where we're really just grasping for straws.

Regards,

Thom

Rando

Post by Rando »

Okay, I just did a test, and indeed, a G28 Z produces a dialog like in the below screenshot. It happens when I try and run the file, which is when the code gets sent to the controller. (I'm using the control panel software in this test).
WeirdDialogG28.jpg

Is that what you're seeing? When I dismiss the dialog, it sorta runs. But if I short the spindle to the bed and click OK, it like sets the Z-axis free, and it drifts down...Strange! And, on re-examination, clicking OK makes the controller appear to reset itself! Well, at least mine does :D.

So, I'm going to say the confidence it's a post-processor selection issue is higher now. Which one did you use? And just so we're all on the same page, can you let us know which machine model it is, whether you're using a pendant or the control panel software, and so on?

Regards,

Thom

Rando

Post by Rando »

Oh, that's weird! Mine just showed the dialog to capture Z0 when I loaded a file too....
It seemed almost as if it thought the Z0 capture had never occured. I clicked cancel, turned the spindle off, and did the normal detect routine, and then re-ran the file, and the message went away...

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Thom

I'm not sure, however could this be the solution to one of the problems?? After I have completed the detect touch plate, loaded the files initially and completed the Virtual Zero touch outs I put the touch plate on top of the control box, could it be picking something up from there. Checking that this morning.

I have a Shark HD Pro 60th anniversary model I put an MDF over the channel aluminum table, and then a second sacrificial table that was also MDF but in strips, interrupted with T track to hold my hold downs. I use control panel software, I use TAP files and have attached one for you to look at. The time difference I get (I think as it is an estimate) however they are way different (2 hrs estimated to 8 hours actual).
3D Finish 1.tap
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 282 times
Tap file.JPG
Bob

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Thom

If the attachments are not coming through PM me at dymock@rogers.com

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the backup.

Bob

Rando

Post by Rando »

RobertD wrote:Thom

I'm not sure, however could this be the solution to one of the problems?? After I have completed the detect touch plate, loaded the files initially and completed the Virtual Zero touch outs I put the touch plate on top of the control box, could it be picking something up from there. Checking that this morning.

I have a Shark HD Pro 60th anniversary model I put an MDF over the channel aluminum table, and then a second sacrificial table that was also MDF but in strips, interrupted with T track to hold my hold downs. I use control panel software, I use TAP files and have attached one for you to look at. The time difference I get (I think as it is an estimate) however they are way different (2 hrs estimated to 8 hours actual).
3D Finish 1.tap
Tap file.JPG
Bob
Yup, that is entirely possible, since 1/2 of the connections is to the box ground. If you squint down at the bottom of the control panel software, you might see a message "Probe Activated" just to the right of the current units. When it's shorted out, that message goes away (on mine, anyway). That seems a quick way to see if the system is ready for the probe.

Give me a couple to check out the TAP file. :D. (did you hear the Final Jeopardy music, too)

Yup, the file looks just fine. No G28's to be found anywhere, and it simulates in a backplotter just fine.

So yeah, maybe it is related to the plate resting on the box. That'd be an almost-hilarious electrical design faux pas. :D. I have one more run coming up here of a 9-minute engraving run, so I'll try to see if that would cause it.

I just tried it, shorting out the probe circuit. It didn't do anything abnormal, but I don't use virtual-Z, so that might be part of what's going on????? Hmmm....

Regards,

Thom

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Thom

Thanks for the second set of eyes. I'll try running it again, still not sure why it stalled at line 65 thousand......I'll keep the touch pad off the control box and give it a go....The problem is that I need to have these boards ready for presentation and I leave Wednesday sooo some late nights. Which is why I'm still up now at 12:06 (my time) I'll sleep in another life CNC is too much fun??

Thanks again I'll let you know what happens....

Bob