ballnose bits

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gpeck

ballnose bits

Post by gpeck »

Would like to know what ballnose bits to start with for cutting 3D projects. I am getting interested in carving some box tops.Thanks for any info ,, Gene

sharkcutup

Re: ballnose bits

Post by sharkcutup »

Box tops can be made in a variety of required finishes - 3D models, texts, inlays, v-bit carving designs, etc... Each requires a different set of bits to complete a required type of finish.

For Example: 3d models require a roughing bit for the rough cut pass and then a Ball Nose bit for the Finishing pass as shown here on this Moose carving.
20170307_120424.jpg
Roughing pass - .25" endmill, Finishing pass .09375" radius by .1875" dia.

Finish passes can be very time consuming due a small bit having to cover large areas with overlapping passes for a smooth acceptable finish.

V-bit carvings on the other hand require other certain type bits (diameter, degrees and depth of cut) for carvings of this nature.
20170418_123836.jpg
60 degree 0.5" diameter x .625" height (held the carving to overall .250" deep cut)

I guess what I am trying to instill upon you that --- the type of bit depends on the type of carving you would like to create on your box top and also how much time you are willing to spend on the project because 3d models and V-carves do take some serious carving time to complete an acceptable project item.

Just a little insight

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

What determens the thickness of the wood has to be? Say I have a box cover that is 4X6 and want to crave a horse on the top . What determines the thickness of the horse.
Would the thickness of the horse be different if the box cover was say 6X8,, and the horse would cover 75% on ether cover.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Untitled-1.jpg
Here you will find the information on the model thickness and its placement relations according to project board thickness.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I was looking for an answer to the same question. Your answers were very detailed but.... anybody have a good source for these bits and a suggested starting set for a collection of bits to start off with. I’ve read about cheap bits just snapping and would like to avoid wasting my time but would also like to avoid wasting money on over priced bits.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Amana bits are probably as good as it gets, but I use Whiteside as well.
I have used some Yonico and MLCS bits in the past, but for this type of work, they just don't seem to last long, and cost almost the same as Whiteside.
If you want to do some sort of 2.5 D cutting, I would start with a 1/4" ball nose and get a tapered ball nose with a 1/16" tip along with some 1/4" up and down cut bits to clear out the roughing areas. That would be a good start for probably anybody.
For normal milling, Whiteside are reasonable priced and seem to last quite long.
When cutting plywood, bits don't last long at all. Cutting plywood has different layers and glue and who knows what else.
Router bits make lots of noise when cutting plywood. When cutting 3/4" ply, I usually take 5-6 passes to get a smooth cut.
Everyone has there own ideas on what bits to use, so opinions will vary from user to user.