Shark cage

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Gaffboat

Shark cage

Post by Gaffboat »

I decided it was time to cage my Shark because the dust shoe wasn’t doing as much as it should, and I was tired of sawdust going everywhere. Plus, I like to see what the bit is doing, rather than watching the dust boot scurry around the table like a furry animal with no sense of direction.

When I looked at the Next Wave enclosure, I had sticker shock and determined to build my own. So, like everyone else, I looked here, checked YouTube and Googled for ideas. I stole … ummm … I mean researched some good ones like using LED lighting, and plexiglass for windows on three sides.

What I didn’t like on many designs were the hinged doors that I knew would be in my way when opened. My solution uses a barrister-bookcase style door that lifts open and slides back along the top, out of the way and giving full access to the interior.

I also added a removable rear panel for those rare occasions when I need to tile a job for longer stock. After spending a lot of time thinking about dust removal, I went with a simplistic and primitive approach. A dust port uses a shop vac to pull the fine particles out of the air and then the vac is used to clean out the sawdust chips when a job has finished.

I also designed and made a folding bracket that holds the pendant at the side of the enclosure, giving easy access and control. It locks in both the open (perpendicular) and closed (parallel) positions.

I designed the cabinet in Sketchup, and the attached file will make it easier for you see how it all goes together rather than trying to explain where to focus your attention on a photo.

I’m pleased with the result because it controls the sawdust, gives me excellent visibility, and has excellent even lighting in the work area. Here's a look at my project.
Attachments
1 Overview.png
3 Door track.png
6-Pendant-closed.png

Rando

Re: Shark cage

Post by Rando »

Great idea, but, um, I think it's not going to work...you cut the cable to the pendant...

Hahahahaha! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers! That looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Rando :ugeek:
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Gaffboat

Shark Cage update

Post by Gaffboat »

Here's a video that does a better job of showing the enclosure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h21IU7Wdmg

Dan03

Re: Shark cage

Post by Dan03 »

Gaffboat...will you be sharing plans for this?