Wow, I can't figure out how to make it cut.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

revel8or

Wow, I can't figure out how to make it cut.

Post by revel8or »

I've made a simple file for making holes in MDF for a spoilboard using VCarve Pro.

Admittedly, I have no idea how to proceed. Zero is set in VCarve at the lower left. I've zeroed the board [2.38 inches (+ or -) x 25 inches] on the HD4 for the lower left corner, visually. The router was moved toward maximum y to ensure that the board lines up with what the HD4 believes to be a constant. The board is clamped, the router moved back and z axis is set using the plate. It is then moved back home, where the position is double checked to be at the corner of the MDF.

When the file is loaded from the USB stick, "File not referenced to center/Press OK to run without virtual zero" appears.

So, why does the message appear, and how can virtual zero be ran from the pendant? Every spot has been pushed on the pendant in an effort to find the command to run virtual zero, but the only things that it seems to want to do are - find the edges of the material using the probe, which places the center some yards away from the actual center of the board, and calibrating the z axis with the plate, which does nothing to enable the virtual zero commands from the pendant.

What noobie thing am I missing?? Does virtual zero operate only from the computer?

Also, there's a lot of commands in the pendant that I'd love to learn about. Is there a real manual somewhere for the HD4? 30 pages of the basics were, um, not enough to teach users how to actually use the machine. Heck, it came with a laser, but learning how to make it just basically "do" is really what I'm after :)

Thanks in advance, and I don't mind being smacked for missing something obvious.

EDIT: So I see that the center point has to be set in the center using VCarve...

ALSO: whenever the power is turned on, the pendant displays that it is a Piranha controller, not a shark one. Please tell me that this is normal.

sharkcutup

Re: Wow, I can't figure out how to make it cut.

Post by sharkcutup »

ALSO: whenever the power is turned on, the pendant displays that it is a Piranha controller, not a shark one. Please tell me that this is normal.
If I am not mistaken that message is so that you choose the correct post processor when you saving your toolpaths from your design program. To be sure that you choose Piranha post-processors and not the Shark post-processors.

The X-0, y-0 must both match (design program software versus machine control setup). If you set X-0, Y-0 at the middle/center of part in design software then you must set the X-0, Y-0 at the center of your material board. You can set the X-0, Y-0 at the corner of your material in your design software too but you must remember to do the same X-0, Y-0 setup on the same corner of your material board.

I own an HD3 Pro Extended bed so as to your other question concerning the pendant you will have to wait for another forum member to chime in with an answer on that issue.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Gaffboat

Post by Gaffboat »

I had the same problem with my controller saying it was a Piranha. Here's how to fix that.

1. Boot the Machine on.

2. From the main jog screen, select "Setup."

3. Scroll down until you find the "Model Number" option. Select it.

4. Press the model number into the top right corner of the screen to open up a numberpad interface. If your model number is anything other than 4004, change it to 4004.

5. Switch your machine off, and back on. Check the splash screen.

revel8or

Post by revel8or »

Thanks for your responses. The design in V-carve had 0,0 set at the lower left (-x,-y) position, not at the (0,0) position expected by the hardware. If there are any new user mistakes, I will find them. All of them. One at a time. :)

And thank you for the advice about the splash screen. I’ll check it as soon as I get home. I don’t mean to whine, as I really don’t admire that trait in others, but this was quite the expense for me, and, well, attention to detail is what makes good companies offer great products, as opposed to Fleabay 300 dollar CNC machines...

Again, thanks for the help!

-j

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.