laser pointer

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

laser pointer

Post by milo30 »

Anyone use a laser on their shark to zero in the router? I've seen some mounted on the sides and their software calculates the starting point off of a known distance from the laser. I have also seen one that goes into the collet on the router but can only find 1/2". I'd like to set one up to be a little more exact when I set up the axis

jimsr1959

Re: laser pointer

Post by jimsr1959 »

I just use the touch probe, works well with changing bits.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I use that too but I'm talking about setting the other 2 axis with a laser pointer. Some bits are hard to get the exact center of.

Well, looking for an example to post on here I actually found a 1/4" one being sold.
http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/information.html#

Just jog the router until the crosshair is exactly where you want and then you can zero the x and y. For me if I want to work off the corner, I think that I can align it faster and more accurate this way and if I have to put the wood back on the cnc again later for some reason, I can find that exact same spot.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The biggest problem in setting X and Y is the that there is still a human involved in the process. Sharks are capable of 1/1000" accuracy, but most humans can't tell the CNC/bit has moved when you step jog it .001. Although having a laser pointer in the router would make setting X/Y about as easy as it is with a sharp pointed V-Bit in there, the diameter of that laser dot is probably larger than .001 in order to see it easily. What I'd love to see is a method/strategy for the machine itself to find your X and Y without needing to trust human vision. Perhaps instead of us spotting the red dot on our cross hair, a routine similar to what the touch plate uses could use a camera based system to focus in on where the center of the cross hair is and mark it. We would simply jog the router close enough to have our mark within the camera's cone of vision, say within a 1" circle around it.

Something about changing in/out a laser pointer with each job setup would aggravate me. This suggests that whatever method is used, it shouldn't add extra steps/time to the homing process or it won't be used.

Just an "I can't sleep" opinion. Feel free to disagree.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Hello 4d

you are talking about 2 features that have existed in mach3 for many years, I use both on my old shark.
These capabilities went away with the NWA controller.
Touch zeroing in 3 axis is purely a software feature once you have a touch probe/plate input. This could be added to the new controllers in software.

Zeroing in all 3 axis is done with a touch plate type routine that works in 3 axis. I use an aluminum angle corner plate for x and y and then touch down to a plate for the z. The routine in the video below shows center finding in x and y as well as edge finding using inexpensive touch plates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXY4O0UkRM

an inexpensive webcam can be used for positioning (and zeroing) x and y, There are small cylindrical usb webcams that work well. I think mine was less than 30 dollars. This video (in german) shows the screen with crosshair and jogging to a visual location. The software contains the offset from the camera center to the bit center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eba9nHt821s

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... Work-Piece

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks Runge. I know these capabilities have existed, probably since shortly after the first CNC was created.

The video that is the most interesting is the one with the copper pipe on plastic being used to center off a home mark. That looks like an easy fixture to create, and one that could use the existing jack on the Shark controller. Line up the etched cross hair on the bottom of the plastic to the mark on your workpiece and then run a "find X/Y home" routine.

It would be great if the Shark controller supported plugins. Perhaps in a future version. Just like with the Mach3 software any user with their own idea for a custom feature could add it to the controller panel. Until then, perhaps just adding X/Y centering with a pipe-style fixture is something they might consider for the next Shark Control Panel update. A clever alteration to the existing touch plate (like a round hole in it with fine wire crosshair across the bottom) would let you use the same part for X, Y, and Z setting.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

4D, hi don't see a software update like you hope for happening unfortunately. Allowing users to creat their own ideas doesn't make the company any money. I can see them writing the software then selling the serial number to use it like the touchplate for another $90 plus whatever price for the device.

I guess that I should check into mach3 and see if it will still operate on the shark. It still says on the website that it does.

Shipfitter

Post by Shipfitter »

I use the lazer edge finder from SDA manufactoring. At least that is where the reciept is from. I love it, but make sure you have an extra set of batteries for it. I found mine dead when I really needed it one time.

Shipfitter

Post by Shipfitter »

I forgot to include that the finder has a 1/4" shaft on it...

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Thanks shipfitter. I think I am going to order one.