Shark Pro Plus for sale

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Re: Shark Pro Plus for sale

Post by KarenW »

Even though I don't post much these days I have to jump in and agree with Ralph and Bill.
I've had the Shark Pro Plus for 18 months now and have yet to have a serious problem that was the fault of the machine.
There are some weaknesses and anyone who owns a Shark and uses it consistently knows those weaknesses and learns the work-arounds.
I've also wondered at those who insist on 0.001 accuracy and have chased it enough to make one's head spin. If that's the kind of accuracy a person requires then why not invest the money up front in a steel-framed machine and be done with it? And, as already stated, a change in the weather will certainly wipe out that 0.001. I live in hot, humid Louisiana and can see and feel the difference in the late afternoon on a piece that was planed and sanded that morning. Since finishing is my main business, yes, I can see and feel it. I don't have to put a micrometer on it to know the humidity and temperature have had an effect.

My Shark has paid for itself twice over. It's allowed me to expand my small business in ways that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
It's not perfect but it does what I want and does it successfully as long as I keep the parameters in mind.
Karen

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

I made this little video to better describe what is going on with my machine. I used 5 to 7 lbs of effort because I am sure there is at least that much effort while cutting. I am not real good at connecting the link but this should get you there. Profile cuts are where the flex problem is the worst.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1086431932 ... directlink

BillK

Post by BillK »

I watched your video and agree that is a lot of movement. My Shark Pro Plus does not move anywhere near that much under the same loads. As I said before, I would have to use a dial indicator to measure the deflection on mine. In addition, I have no problem with profile cuts whatsoever.

I feel there is a defect in your machine at some point. Where the shafts hook into the sides of the gantry or the bearing seats on the router carriage. It would probably take only one of those connections to be off for the machine to be able to move that much.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

I have entertained the thought that the rods have lost there stiffness or temper or something like that. That would be a reason others have rebuilt there machines.
Dave

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Hello Dave

I have to say that your results are typical of what my 2007 vintage shark pro was doing. It is mainly due to the unsupported bearing rods in both the gantry as well as the rods on the base.That is why I modified my shark to fit fully supported bearings (before the HD models came out). The HD design supports the rods in the center only, which reduces the flex significantly but does not eliminate the issue completely.

Yes it is possible to do accurate work on the non HD machines, but they require a lot more compensation for the flex in the machine. That means slower cutting speeds etc. Some of the flex comes from the weight of the router itself, and is not able to be compensated for. Some folks that have tried to plane a sacrificial board have found the it will have a dip in the center which accurately follows the routers path as it sags down near the center of travel in both the x and y directions. That is unavoidable as gravity is pulling the router down and flexing the rods. around .020" - .035" dip the center is typical. This is on a machine that was advertised as having .00012 inch "resolution". So in some cases the disappointment some folks may feel is that their expectations were not met, and these expectations were formed partly due to lack of information and also from what was put out there in specifications. The fact that the software bundled with the Sharks has default cutting speeds that are too aggressive for the machine does not help this situation either, and one of the first things users are told is to slow down, when they have accuracy issues.

That is where the this forum helps, as you can read about real world experiences, find solutions, or at least be informed of issue before or after you buy something.

I dont know where the .001 requirement that folks are talking about came from, as even the larger machines will quote around .002 in accuracy. The stock shark pro and pro plus can not get that accurate over the span of the entire table. especially in the z axis due to sag. The HD model sharks address a lot of issues and allow greater router selection over the older non HD models, and as the price is so close between the HD and non HD, I do not understand the the non-HD was not phased out. That is a business decision.

For me the early Shark was a good learning experience, led me to modify my unit, and subsequently build one from scratch. (DIY)
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1342

more good info here as well
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 48&p=16734
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 25&p=20125

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

I like the controls of the shark and have read your thread on your rebuild many times. If I rebuild the shark I would make it larger to 30' X 36' or something. I just can't get myself over the threshold of rebuilding it into what it should have been in the first place. I have been looking at many new machines and the camaster has caught my eye. High Z travel, iron frame, etc. The biggest thing I like is there recoil lathe. Sits off to the side out of the way but has easy access.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

DRMRDR wrote:I just can't get myself over the threshold of rebuilding it into what it should have been in the first place. I have been looking at many new machines and the camaster has caught my eye. High Z travel, iron frame, etc. The biggest thing I like is there recoil lathe. Sits off to the side out of the way but has easy access.
It's probably up to Next Wave or Rockler for that matter to defend their product but for an All-In-One solution so to speak that included the software, etc. I thought and still do think that the Shark offers tremendous value. I've only become more informed owing a Shark and if I ever do purchase another machine I know more of the "right" questions to ask. That said, with all the comparisons about stiffer, faster, prettier or whatever how come no one mentions a comparison about price. I guarantee you that with a Camaster, and they're a fine machine, you're going to pay significantly more, have a much steeper learning curve getting up to speed with the controller software and I think Vectric's software is optional. I've looked at them and I'm sure if NWA raised their prices by $5K to $6K they'd be able to put out something completely different. I approached my purchase from DIY to the complete package that Rockler had for sale and my budget. I certainly wasn't going to spend $10K on a tool that I didn't know anything about or the software that went with it at the time. However, like I said, with the knowledge I have now thanks to the opportunity to own a CNC and a budget of $10K (if I had it) I may look around. By the way Dave, you'll pay close to the price of a Shark for that Recoil and you have to upgrade the controller software too - it's not free.

I also must say that I'm happy to see NWA committed to improving their offering - that is they've improved their software, brought out the touch plate and are working on the 4th axis (still) but they're doing something. I'd be disappointed if they did nothing. I'm happy to build upon my Shark as they come out with new features. It's easier on my pocket book.
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Unfortunately, no one offers the perfect package.

General has the iCarver which is a cool machine, but they sell it with ArtCam Express which is not the equal to VCarve, (ArtCam is, but not Express) and their controller software is not nearly as good as NWAs

ShopBot makes a terrific machine, and the Shop bot CAD/CAM software is a branded version of VCarve Pro. But again, their controller software is not nearly as user friendly as the Shark.

All that being said, if I was given the task of milling a specific product, I would choose my machine to match the product line. But you can give me most any machine and I can find ways to make money with it.

In 2006 on St. Croix, I was actually running a CNC from 1992! It was DOS based! Made a good income with that machine making parts for cabinets and stairs.

Ralph

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

I am not saying camaster is the answer but lets take a peek at the machines.
$4000.00 Shark pro plus 25'X25"X4'
$130.00 colt palm router
$90.00 touch plate
Software included
Plastic bolted frame

$6500.00 camaster 25'X36"X6"
2.25 hp router Included
touch plate Included
software Included
Metal welded frame

Both have tech support for.
Both have great support forums.

If you are looking at dollar to dollar I don't think the shark has a great lead like you think.

I have the quote from camaster and the recoil lathe package is $1195.00

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

We can talk all day about who has the best machine, just like cars, motorcyles, etc. At the end of the day we want something that works for us. I am glad many of you like your shark and for the many that have the same problem I do, all I can say is I don't know what to say.
I have listened to comments that I am doing something wrong, or I don't know what I am doing. I even had one person offer to call me and help me, (to which he never did, but I don't mind because we are all busy.)
I have showed everyone the excessive movement on my router to which some of you were surprised. Because of the number of machines out there with the same movement on the router I feel Next Wave should have offered to do something. They don't need to take my machine back but they could have come up with some kind of option to beef it up. But instead when I called tech I get the same story. "We have never heard of that problem, You are the only one with a machine doing that".
I know with the video I have no chance of selling my shark now. I never really did any how because I would have showed any customers the weakness and I know they would have walked away. So at the end of the day, I don't have something that works for me.
Dave