What bit to use.

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

creek

What bit to use.

Post by creek »

I'm new with my CNC Shark HD 2.0, The only bit I have used is the V-90 bit. What bit would work the best for carving a sign with Text. The text can only be 0.50 high?
Thanks
Creek

tonydude

Re: What bit to use.

Post by tonydude »

I use 60 deg. 45 deg and 11 deg v bits for lettering also 90.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

your bit will work. Just depends on the look that you want and what font you are using. I use 90 and 60 degree bits in both .5" and .25"

creek

Post by creek »

I must be using the incorrect Font. Will try a different one and see.
Thanks to all.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

You can also control the depth of carving see attachment.

Tony
Attachments
control depth.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

creek

Post by creek »

Thanks do you have a font you would recommend since the size is so small?
Thanks
Creek

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Use a single line font and carve with profile depth of .01 try different fonts in preview and see how they look.

Tony
Attachments
this.bmp
Buffalo,NY

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Get a scrap board and type in some letters using different fonts, different bits and different depths.

For smaller letters I go with the .25" bits and use the 60 degree a lot. I'll also use the engrave toolpath instead of just vcarve when the letters are small. .01 like tonydude suggested is normally a good depth for me. You just have to play with the machine a bit and you'll learn from experience what will work best for the results that you want.

creek

Post by creek »

Thanks trying the Engraving Tool Path.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I use v carve toolpath for letters.

Tony
Buffalo,NY