Spindle Braket cracking

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

zstat

Spindle Braket cracking

Post by zstat »

Ok I have had the spindle sold by NWA since it was 1st released... Having most of not all the bugs worked out I thought.
Today an new issue cam up... I have noticed a lot of flex in my system as of late.. (60th Anniversary) So I started checking that everything was tight and so on. When I got to the bracket supplied by NWA for the extra support needed for the weight of the spindle. I noticed it is cracking front to back right at the screw
hole that supports the 2 brackets together... Now I am worried that the spindle can hit a snag or something and break right off the bracket...

4DThinker

Re: Spindle Braket cracking

Post by 4DThinker »

If the clamps parts are plastic, then you've found out why they never should have been made of plastic.
I'd look into getting aluminum replacement parts. I made a 3/4" bb plywood replacement that worked fine when my clamp failed the same way yours has.

zstat

Post by zstat »

I received the new brackets... I started taking the spindle out of the old brackets.. After removing the top bracket and removing the bolt the second (bottom bracket fell apart. I could not tell it was completely broken until I removed the top one... This could have ended very badly for me...
I think I will be contacting NWA tomorrow morning...

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

There can be an additional issue of cracking of the z axis bottom plate that the spindle or router clamps bolt onto.
I have seen an instance of this plate just break away using a single clamp and router.

Sandwiching the z axis bottom plate between two clamps does help strengthen the bottom plate, but only so much.
It may be a good idea to keep an eye on the integrity of your x axis bottom plate. Watch out for cracking.

This thread may be helpful. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 32&p=21142