Can't select Clipart vectors

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Drjohn71a

Can't select Clipart vectors

Post by Drjohn71a »

I know the answer will prob' make me look dumb, but...
Have spent about 50 hours trying to setup and run first trial project with no success.
I can draw a circle or rectangle and click on it to "select" it in order to create the tool paths, but I cannot find any way to get the purple dotted "selected" indicator on any of the free clip art files. The figures darken on one click and show handles on the second click (I'm using a Microsoft Touch 4 touchpad). So, it just says can't make tool path since no vectors selected.

How can I select a clip art figure for tool Pathing?

sharkcutup

Re: Can't select Clipart vectors

Post by sharkcutup »

What type of clip art (models (animals, Borders, etc...), 2D vectors, 3D Tabs, etc..) are you using?

If you are using the clip art models (animals, Borders, Decorative, etc...) you need to create a vector boundary first?
patrick_hannah_sign.jpg
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

Yes, Animals and borders... I'm confused. How can I create a fish vector before loading the fish file? I've drawn the work piece and positioned the Clipart inside it. Do I need to draw around the art? Guess you're saying to draw a shape on the workpiece, then put the clip onto that shape...

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

patrick_hannah_sign.jpg
As noted above in my previous post --- I'll try to explain here --- after you have selected your clip art model and placed it where you want it then go to the modeling tab and then at the top where my cursur has noted select that tool (but be sure that the clip art/model is selected/highlighted before clicking or else it will not work). This will create a vector boundary around the clip art model so that you can use that vector for toolpaths!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

OK, Problem solved: My failure to properly complete the "Firmware Update" of the controller and touch plate, apparently prevented full use of the clip art, because, after properly completing that Firmware Update, the clip art items could be "selected" and "tool-Pathed". Yay!

Will try tomorrow to actually cut something...

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

A special thanks to Ron of Special Agent 45 for steering me to the registration process! And, also, thanks to Shark Cut Up for taking the time to explain basics.

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

Well, 'Still does not recognize the animal clip art... I thought, in "selecting " the oval pattern containing the Duck, that the Duck would be carved, but all it cut was a flat oval, even though the preview pic showed the Duck in center 0f the carving... At least some sawdust has been shed at the 9 day, 50 plus hours invested in this, so far, fruitless endeavor.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Wach this tutorial http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... 3D_GS.html and also this one http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... _3DTP.html it might help you. Also check out the other tutorials, they are a big help.http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

Thanks, guys. I see one must import a vector art clip, then "select" it to be "outlined" before it can be "officially selected" (dotted purple line) in order to be "tool pathed"...

I'm watching hours and hours of tutorials, but they move to click icons so rapidly and the screen resolution is so fuzzy, and the accents are unusual, so I'm having to "rewind" over and over and over. The one I'm watching now talks forever on unrelated topics, the quickly says "nod edit moves edges" (not "node" editing...) and I cannot for the life of me figure out what he clicked. Frustrating.

It would really be nice to have a printed list of the steps used for these projects.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

It would really be nice to have a printed list of the steps used for these projects. by DrJohn71a
Yes it would be nice but I am just guessing that no one wants to take the responsibility if an individual was to follow the instructions (printed list) to the letter and not per their own actual CNC setup if something should go terribly wrong!!!

There are those individuals that are getting these CNC machines with little to no first hand knowledge of the woodworking, software, hardware, etc.... not to mention the correctness of the actual machine software and hardware setup that comes as delivered from manufacturer with very little to no instructions!!!

I have created written guides for myself as a reminder when I have not done a particular type (modeling, text on text, etc...) of project in a while!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! ;)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!
V-Carve Pro 11.554